On Your Left

Family is always on your side.

It has been two years since the attack on New York, and Loki kidnapped me. After watching my family die in the attack, I was adopted by Steve Rogers, or as he is better known as Captain America. The Avengers have welcomed me as one of their own, and I proudly wear their symbol on the left arm of my uniform as my superhero identity, Legacy. I have the power over the elements which include air, fire, water, earth, and even spirit. My powers allow me to control the elements as well as feeling and controlling emotions around me which comes in handy when my teammates are nervous.

One early morning, Steve woke me up before the sun was even up because I promised him that I would go on a run with him everyday morning as long as I did not have school or any schoolwork which I never had. I have not fully gone back to in person school since my family was killed two years ago. Steve and Tony have offered to pay for the schools that are not offering me full rides, which is very little, but I just have not felt ready for it yet. I meet with my teachers all at once on Tuesdays every week, and then I go to Avengers Tower to do my schoolwork alongside Tony as he works on new Avengers gear.

"Sammi, come on! I wanna get out there before it gets crowded." Steve yelled into my room as he walked past towards the kitchen. Over the last two years, we have moved into a smaller apartment because it was closer to Avengers Tower and my school.

"Steve! Is it hot out or chilly?" I asked him as I walked into the kitchen. I could smell eggs and toast being cooked which was our normal morning breakfast on run days.

"It is kinda chilly, but you probably won't need long sleeves or a jacket. Just sweatpants and a t-shirt." He tells me as he hands me a plate of food. I took the plate back to my room, so I could get dressed while I ate breakfast. I gathered my running clothes out of my drawers which included a black dri-fit t-shirt, yellow athletic tights, and my white Nike running shoes. I threw my clothes on, finished my food, and then headed to the living room where Steve was already waiting for me.

We headed towards our normal running spot, and Steve started to run and I did not. I had to stretch my legs and everything before keeping up with a super soldier like Captain America. I finished stretching my muscle, put in my headphones and ran around waiting for Steve to come back around, but to my surprise, someone else appeared on the left side of me.

The man was African American who was built like a fighter and definitely was in shape enough not to be running this early in the morning. I could feel how pure his soul and spirit were, but I could also feel that he had witnessed some unspeakable things. I was about to ask him what his name was, but then I heard someone coming around.

"On your left." The voice said. I instantly realized that it was Steve's voice. The man next to me was starting to get annoyed, but I thought it was funny.

"Hey, my name is Sammi." I told the man. "What's yours?"

The man turned towards me while we still ran with a smile on his face. "My name is Sam. I guess it was meant to be for us to meet like this." We continued to run together when I felt someone familiar coming up behind us.

"On your left." Steve said as he passed us once again.

Sam was over it, and yelled, "Oh, come on!"

I just giggled, "That guy seems to be very annoying. I wonder who he is." Sam smiled at me, and we continued to run together. After talking for what seemed like forever, we finally stopped and Steve approached us.

"Hey, Sammi, there you are." Steve says as he hands me a bottle of water. "Who is this?" He asks, pointing to Sam.

"My name is Sam Wilson. Nice to meet you." Sam says as he shakes Steve's hand.

Steve smiles, "I am Steve Rogers."

"Steve Rogers?" Sam looked at me and Steve. "As in Captain America?"

I laughed at how confused Sam was, "Yes. This is my adoptive father, Captain America." This caused Sam and Steve to laugh too.

"Well, Steve, how is life for you now? You know how you woke up and seventy years have passed?" Sam asked him.

"It is a struggle, but I am readjusting. It helps having her around." Steve tells him as he wraps his arm around my shoulder.

"Does your bed feel weird? After coming home, it always felt like I didn't know how to explain it." Sam says.

"It feels like I am going to sink right to the floor. What unit were you in?"

"I was in the 58th pararescue, but now I work down at the VA. You need to listen to the Marvin Gaye 1972 Trouble Man soundtrack. It will help you go over everything you missed in the last seventy years." Sam tells Steve.

I saw Steve pull out his little pocket notebook he always kept on him. "I will put it on the list." He was interrupted by his phone going off and mine followed. "Well Sam, thank you for the run if that is what you wanna call that. Duty calls" They both shake hands, and I look down at my phone.

All I saw was a text from Natasha, who was always known as Black Widow. The text only said to meet at the curb because we had a mission to go on. For the last two years since the New York invasion, Steve and I were working at S.H.I.E.L.D alongside Nick Fury, Maria Hill, and Natasha Romanoff. It was super fun and exciting, but sometimes Steve would treat me like a little baby. He was always worried about me, but I could handle myself. I have learned how to control my emotions and control my powers ever since the day in Stark Tower where I almost killed Loki.

A few moments later, a black sports car pulled up, and the driver rolled down the window. The driver was a woman with shoulder length, pencil straight, red hair. I knew it was Nat, so I started to walk straight to the car waving to Sam as I left.

"Hey, do either of you know where the Smithision is? I am here to pick up a fossil?" Nat says as she was waiting for Steve to get in the car.

Steve laughed, "Wow, that is so funny." He looked out the window towards Sam, "Well you can't walk everywhere."

Sam gave Nat a flirty look, "No you can't." After Sam finished talking, Nat drove right off into traffic.

"Nat, did you happen to grab our suits?" I asked as I finished my bottle of water.