Brown Butter Cookies

Brown butter is a magical thing. It can turn a already perfect chocolate chip cookie into a phenomenal one. The butter gets more flavorful and smells like toasted nuts. The addition of milk powder really did the trick on these cookies too. It makes the caramel-y butter flavor even stronger and instantly made me fall in love. This chill time is important here. Without it, the melted butter will cause the cookies to bake up flat and crisp! We're going for slightly crisp edges with soft centers. Plus, the chill time will give the cookies more time to develop flavor.

INGREDIENTS
1 c. (2 sticks) butter
1 tbsp. milk powder
3/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
2 c. chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS
1} In a small skillet or saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stirring occasionally, continue to cook butter and bring to a simmer. Let butter simmer until butter starts to turn golden. Once butter quiets and stops sizzling, give it another stir and check that it has turned a deep golden color. Remove from heat and pour into a medium heatproof bowl, scraping all of the brown bits into the bowl. Let cool for about 15 or 20 minutes. 

2} Add milk powder to browned butter and whisk until dissolved. Add sugars and whisk until combined, then add eggs and vanilla and whisk until creamy.

3} In another medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, and salt together. Add dry ingredients to wet and stir with rubber spatula until just combined. Add chocolate chips and stir to combine. 

4} Cover in a plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours.

5} Preheat oven to 350° and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment. Scoop about 2 tablespoons worth of dough and roll into a ball. Place on prepared baking sheets 2’’ apart.

6} Bake until edges are golden and set and middles are still soft 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack to let cool completely.

 Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack to let cool completely