A loud silence settled in the room for several seconds. Noah still clung to Race's wrist, silently commanding him to leave the room.

"Such a strong opinion of a woman you know nothing about. Have we met, my lord? I'm certain I don't know who you are." she said, breaking the silence.

"My identity is of little relevance in the matter of your seduction of my brother."

"Brother?" She turned to stare at Camden before turning back to him. "I do not see a resemblance, nor has Lord Camden ever spoken of you. I don't believe I saw your portrait lining the walls of the hall, nor have I ever come across you in one of London's lousy balls," she said coolly.

Anger rippled through Race's veins so fast he clenched his fists, afraid he would break something.

"You shall not stand there and mock my illegitimacy!" he roared. "I am in possession of much more dignity than you shall ever possess!" he barked, and a coy smile settled on her face as she leaned back against her seat, visibly satisfied. It was a trap! She had trapped him into admitting he was a bastard.

"That is enough, Race!" Noah shoved him back, his head slamming painfully against the wall. Yet Race barely felt the pain past his anger. "Get out, right now!" Noah growled.

"You wish to throw me out?! For God's sake, Noah, the wench is the one you must get rid of!" His words were quickly followed by more pain in his skull as Noah shoved him against the wall once more.

"Ah, but did you not hear?" Lady Atkins taunted him. "My dead husband bequeathed me to Lord Camden. Perhaps it is appropriate to say I belong to him."

Noah's hold weakened around Race's wrist as he jerked his head back to glance down at Lady Atkins. Race saw the anger dissipate from Noah's face, his lips tipping upward in a slight smile; it was apparent that he found pleasure in the idea of Lady Atkins belonging to him. For heaven's sake! The wench had obviously bewitched his brother!

"I also heard you killed your husband to gain control of his estate and now, you wish to do the same to my brother!" Race yelled in response, causing Noah to turn to him, anger burning in his eyes.

"You shall return to Bath this minute—"

Noah's words were quickly interrupted by a loud thud that stunned the two brothers. Race turned in time to see a book slicing through the air, barely falling to the floor before yet another book followed. The wench was throwing books at him!

He ducked, just as yet another book hit the wall behind him. Noah wasn't so lucky, and in a flash, the case binding of a book landed squarely on his forehead, between his eyes. He lost his footing, and it sent him tumbling down the stairs.

Race let out a sharp breath, hurrying after his brother, who was now lying at the foot of the stairs.

The flying object ceased in that moment, and as Race hurried down the stairs to his brother's side, he glimpsed Lady Atkins hurrying in the same direction. She reached Noah and fell to her knees before him.

"Noah!" she screeched, clutching his shoulders, examining him for injuries.

"Get away from him!" Race swatted her hands off of Noah before turning to examine Noah himself.

"I am fine!" Noah said gruffly, a wince following his words as he sat upright.

"I shall help you to your chambers."

Race helped Noah to his feet and led him back up the stairs to his chambers. He heard Lady Atkins following behind, her heavy footsteps trailing their movements. It sounded to him like she was limping, but he didn't care; Race cared for nothing but Noah's safety. The vile woman had been around for only a few weeks, and in that short period, she had caused Noah to fall down a flight of stairs. God only knew the damage she would cause if her presence was tolerated for much longer.