Chapter Five

It was settled

It was settled. Noah would come into full possession of Oliver's property and Lady Atkins would vacate the premises within a week—it would be as Oliver wished for it to be.

Still, something tugged at Noah's heart, leaving him with a dull ache in his chest and a bitter taste in his mouth. He shifted in his seat, crossing and uncrossing his legs as he ran his weary hands through his hair. For the life of him, he couldn't ignore his guilt at the thought of leaving Lady Atkins empty-handed not only because he wasn't certain he needed the additional burden of managing Oliver's estate along with his, but also because Lady Atkins needed the money.

Lady Atkins's pride be damned, Noah knew she needed the money. She needed a place to live, food to eat, clothes to wear; all of which he knew her father would fail to provide.

Perhaps he could take pity on her by leaving her with a few properties, enough to live comfortably for the rest of her life? Surely that could be arranged.

Even as the thought entered his mind, it was driven back by another opposing one; Oliver's true intention was for Lady Atkins to be left empty-handed. The conditions for her upkeep in the will were nothing but excuses to humiliate her. There was no doubt in Noah's mind that Oliver knew Lady Atkins would reject his conditions and would ultimately be left with nothing.

There had been no love in their marriage. Oliver's will showed just how much he loathed his wife, and Noah found it difficult to imagine that Oliver's hatred was for nothing. Oliver was a sensible man. If he hated Lady Atkins, it was not without reason. Perhaps Lady Atkins deserved Oliver's hatred. Perhaps Oliver caught her with a lover. Perhaps she stole from Oliver? Noah thought she resembled the gold digging type.

Concluding then he had no business interfering with the wishes of a dead man, Noah rose to his feet. It was best he left before Lady Atkins and her father came back down the stairs. He didn't wish to confront them alone, especially because the solicitor already left.

Exiting the room, he paused in the hall, stunned to find a trembling figure seated by the foot of the stairs with her head bowed over her knees, her red hair draped over her shoulders. She was dressed in nothing but her undergarments; the realization filling Noah with unease.

What was she doing? He neared, a frown settling on his face as her soft sobs drifted to him.

Curios, he wondered about her tears. Surely she was saddened by the death of her husband. But Noah thought otherwise. The seed of doubt that had been planted in his head by Oliver's will convinced him she was saddened by the loss of her fortune. She wept for money.

Irritated by the very thought, Noah circled around her and made his way out the front door, deciding he didn't care for her tears.

*

Satin brushed his lips, the sweet scent of flowers drifting to his nostrils as he kissed his hostess's gloved hand in greeting.

"My lady." He raised his gaze just as a slight dust of pink settled on Lady George's cheeks.