Fourteen

Authors Note// According to the books, being a master at Occlumency means that you can resist the truth serum. However, for creative liberties I'm going to ignore that for this story haha

Aster's POV

It was seeing him there, proudly sitting upon the chair we had situated in the centre of my living room, that made my heart clench unbearably. Here he was, risking his life, trusting me, trusting Moody to interrogate him under the effects of a truth serum. Something so very illegal and so uncomfortably invasive it made me tense just looking at the silvery substance. 

Moody was true to his name. 

The man was all growling voice and rough as carved wood. An Auror that even my dad had spoken accolades about, someone who had more scars than sense. I watched as his electric blue magical eye twitched when I clenched my fists. 

"You look exactly like your mother" he grumbled. With his sharp tone, I had no idea if that was a compliment or not. 

"Thanks?" 

He shook the small phial of Veritaserum before walking towards Draco, his wooden leg clapping against the wooden floorboards beneath it. 

It was just Moody, myself, Blaise and Theo that were to be witnesses of Draco's interrogation. 

Draco and I had what I liked to call an 'intense' discussion when Blaise came back to us with the Order's answer to Draco's involvement with them. They simply didn't trust him enough to just let him join. My argument was that if that was the case, I needed to be interrogated too but Draco stubbornly flashed his dark mark in front of me and gave me a look that I couldn't argue with. 

But there, Draco sat, proudly and looking ever-so like the aristocrat he was brought up to be. He was still wearing his black sweater and black trousers, his hair now slightly ruffled from his sleep. He had crossed his legs, one ankle on top of his knee, looking as relaxed as one could be before an interrogation. 

We all watched as Moody gave Draco the small phial. Draco wasting no time in gulping down the intrusive potion. 

"Please state your name" Moody started. 

"Draco Lucius Malfoy" 

"Are you an active death eater, currently working for Lord Voldemort?" 

"Yes" 

His hands gripped the arms of the chair he was sitting on. 

"Do you believe in the motives behind Lord Voldemort's activities?" 

"No" 

"Why did you become a Death Eater then?" Moody's voice was gruff with this question, impatience laced his tone. 

"I had no choice. It was either that or get killed" 

The dryness is my throat was now very evident. 

"Coward" Moody mumbled. 

Before I knew it, my arm was being snatched and pulled back. I had lunged for Moody, ready to open my mouth and give him hell but Blaise's harsh grip on my wrist made me stop. 

Draco's eyes were blazing, and if I didn't know better I would have thought his eye colour was the same colour as the truth serum he had just ingested. 

"Why do you want to join the Order?" 

"I don't believe in the radical pure-blood supremacy they spout. I want to protect the people I love from the terror they reign, from the innocent deaths I've already seen"