ii

1919

"Ada, let me into the bathroom or you'll be seeing black for the next hour" Lili screams, alerting the whole house she's awake.

"Fuck off Lilibet, beauty takes time" Ada tells her little sister.

"You musn't spend too much time on it then" She laughs, Ada opens the door to find her sister staring at her with a smirk. "Let me in or I'll tell them about Freddie" she whispers to her sister through the lock hole. Elizabeth knows about Ada and Freddie Thorne because she caught Ada sneaking out one evening when she intended to go to Ruairi's and drink on the rooftop, She had promised not to tell anyone Ada was sneaking out but she demanded to know who, when she finally found out she wasn't surprised seeing the two grow up together and how much flirting they did without making it obvious.

"I hate you sometimes" Ada says but still cracking a smile at her little sister who she's sure is the Devils daughter at times.

"Love you too Ada" Lilibet smiles walking into the bathroom to brush her teeth and do her hair.

"What ya doing Finn?" Lilibet says waltzing into the kitchen, ruffling her brothers hair. She notices a cigarette dangling from his mouth before she stands up and drops it into the fire.

"Arthurs mad as hell" The youngest Shelby says as Tommy struts into the kitchen.

"And what does a ten year old know about hell, eh?" He says laughing at his brother.

"I'm eleven on Sunday" Finn defends himself. "Lil, Arthur said he wanted you in his office". She nods and opens the doors to the betting shop, men taking bets and smoking, having a laugh was a weirdly euphoric aura. She enters her eldest brothers office and takes a seat opposite him.

"What do you want Arthur?" She questions, bored already.

"Oi, watch your attitude. Stop taking drink from mine and Johns office, you're lucky we even let you drink, don't push it." He warns his little sister, who nods remembering when Ruairi and herself nicked two bottles of whiskey for Isaiah and the two, to have a drink up on his roof. Arthur stands up and tells Tommy to come into the office, dismissing the girl in the room.

"No" She stated, face plain as day as she sat in the chair with a cigarette inbetween her fingers.

"No?" Arthur asks.

"Yeah, no. Polly and myself ran this business when you boys were away, and I did a pretty good job of it aswell, I want to be apart of ALL the business because I'm able to keep a lid on my temper unlike someone" She says looking at Arthur who has his eyes on hers. "I can fight like John and you two both know it and I'm smart, like Tommy and I can't stand waiting at home to nurse your injuries without getting a proper answer to what happened. I want in on everything" The seventeen year old states, crossing her arms, proud of herself for the speech she just delivered to her eldest brothers. Tommy and Arthur stood their amazed at their sister, Tommy agreed with her she was extremely smart considering she didn't finish school, she was a hell of a fighter and despite her temper shorter then Ada's hair, she could play cool. He cracked a smile at her knowing she wouldn't give up until she got her way.

"Alright, deal" Thomas tells his sister. Not wanting to put her in danger but he knew she'd eventually get her own way.

"I'm still processing that give me a hour or two" Arthur jokes. He goes on to talk about how Thomas was seen with the Chinese and Monaghan Boy and how Billy Kimber was dangerous and trouble's coming. Finn was right, he was mad as hell but she was still shocked Thomas agreed to letting her be involved but she wasn't going to question it just in case he changed his mind.