"We'll be back for your birthday, I promise Lili and write to us every time Ada or Finn even Pol annoys you and we'll buy you a sweet for each time when we're back." Tommy reasons with his baby sister who he practically raised, his father being absent ninety percent of the time and their mother being busy with everything and everybody doing everything she could for others, before her untimely death. Elizabeth hums, not fully satisfied but liking the idea of conning sweets out of her brothers.

"Well atleast we can write to eachother, Arthur get Tommy, James or even John to write your letters" She lets out a chuckle knowing her brother has struggle with the simpliest of things. At the mention of her best-friends brother who will also be off to France, she remembers that her and Ruairi can do what they want without any annoying brothers, their sisters not caring what they do and Finn won't be a problem he's only young, suddenly she doesn't mind because they're going to be home for winter anyway.

"Okay love, come on lads, lets go get James and leave" The eldest Shelby tells his brothers. Each of them saying goodbye to their pre-teen sister, John and Arthur left the room but Tom stayed back bending down to her height he looks at her.

"Lili, we will be gone for a while, but I want you to protect our family, okay?" She nods "You're only twelve but everyone knows you're lethal and try not to fight with Ada as much, it's hard enough for Pol, alright? I love you don't forget that" He says finishing up and brining her in for one final hug.

"Here I want you to have this" She says passing him a bracelet made out of sewing string, putting it on his wrist, looking down at his little sister, he gets up and leaves before leaning on the doorframe.

"Don't forget me, my girl" he says before exiting the house. Lilibet and Ruairi went to her Uncle Charlie's yard and looked after the horses for hours, taking their innocent minds off of what was really happening in the world.

1918

"H-, Hel- Help"

"Lilibet, p-please"

Lilibet woke, shooting up in her bed waking her bestfriend who slept beside he. Shaking, sweating and screaming she burys her head in Ruairi's shoulder, trying his best to calm her down, stroking her hair, telling her it would be okay. Finn woke to the sound of his sister screaming, he got up and looked through the crack of her door to see the Irish boy calming her. It always plagued Finn that he could never get to comfort his sister like he wished he could.

She remembers the night as if it were yesterday, everybody knows what happened, but they didn't have to live it, they didn't have to witness and feel useless.

"Ruairi, Lil wake up they're coming home, LIL! they're coming home" Finn shouts waking the two teenagers up jumping on the bed.

"Who's coming home Finn?" Lilibet yawns at her little brother, sitting up.

"And you're meant to be smart" he says face palming earning a pillow thrown at him "The boys of course"he says. Ruairi and Lilibet looking at each other before racing down stairs to where her aunt and sister sit having breakfast.

"Are they, is it true Pol?" Lilibet asks her aunt, hope and joy spread across her face, for the first time in a while.

"Good morning Ruairi, sit down and have a cup of tea. Yes, Elizabeth they're coming home, ship docks at 12 o'clock so you two better drink up then get dressed" Polly tells the two. They practically inhale their teas and run off to get dressed, Lilibet telling Ruairi to be outside at ten to twelve.