xxv

chapter twenty-five
A SCANDAL

THE FOLLOWING DAY AT DAWN, ANTHONY AND LORD DUBOIS DEPARTED FOR PARIS

THE FOLLOWING DAY AT DAWN, ANTHONY AND LORD DUBOIS DEPARTED FOR PARIS. Since then, Juliette has been rather bored and, well, in a sour mood to say the least. While she was not ecstatic about Anthony visiting her father, she trusted his word that nothing would change, even if her father denied once again. He still intended on marrying her, but he needed to make amends. Even though unease ate away at her gut, she knew Anthony was only doing what he thought was best. She trusted him. However, she was confused as to why her uncle insisted on joining him. Lord DuBois had grown a certain distaste for her father since her mother's death, and even more so since Juliette's arrival in London.

There was talk amongst the members of high society about the Viscount's departure, quickly overshadowing Colin's engagement to Miss Thompson. Otherwise, the ton, to put it lightly, was in a state of boredom. Even the upcoming luncheon with the Queen wasn't found to be that interesting. High society wanted more. They yearned for something substantial and oh-so-terrible, such as a scandal.

The members of the ton didn't have to wait much longer for a scandal to spread like a wildfire.

Two days after Anthony's and her uncle's departure, a scandal was exposed to the world. Lady Whistledown's words cut deep and showed no mercy. The scandal was quite damning and tarnished all who was associated with it. Days after learning of Colin Bridgerton's engagement to Marina Thompson, it became known to high society that Miss Thompson had been with child since her arrival in London. Not only was Marina's reputation ruined, but so was the Featheringtons. The Bridgertons, too, had been scorched by the ceaseless and destructive flame.

Édith, as expected, was the first of the family to learn of Miss Thompson's pregnancy. The morning of, the sounds of her footsteps echoed through the halls as she ran towards the drawing-room. Juliette and her aunt were busy discussing a novel they both read recently. As they did so, Juliette practiced her needlework, which she was never talented at. Edward, who enjoyed music greatly, aimlessly played the piano.

That day, their conversation was interrupted by Édith bursting into the drawing-room, coming to a sudden halt. Her breathing was rapid and shallow and Lady Whistledown's scandal sheet was clutched in her hands. Unruly black curls had fallen loose from her updo, no doubt a result of her sprinting, and her face was a deep crimson. Édith exclaimed through shallow breaths, "Miss." Gasp. "Thompson." Gasp. "Is with." Gasp. "Child!"

At the shocking revelation, Juliette accidentally struck her finger with the needle and Edward ceased playing the piano mid-note. The thirteen-year-old boy abruptly turned around in his spot, craning his neck to look at his family. The DuBois drawing-room fell into a thick yet brief moment of silence. The only sound disrupting the silence was Édith's panting.

"Ouch!" Juliette winced softly. A small ball of blood began to pool on her skin from the throbbing wound.

Lady DuBois' attention snapped to Juliette, she asked, concerned, "Dear, are you all right?"