George rolled his eyes and turned back to Clover, his eyes drifting down to her revealed collarbone when a flash of yellow engraved onto her skin caught his eyes. He curiously furrowed his eyebrow for a moment, but filed that thought into the back of his mind when a small finger was poking into his chest.

"You underestimate me, carrot crotch," George's eyes met a smirking Clover, the blonde girl spinning around the scissor on her pointer finger while doing so.

In one swift motion, George impressively placed his hand over Clover's at the perfect time, catching the scissor in between his fingers. He brought his face closer to hers, leaning into her ear while speaking, "Its sir to you. I am your boss after all."

The tall boy pulled away slightly so his face was now directly in front of hers as he let a triumphant smile take over his lips. Clover nodded her head, impressed with his comeback, and pushed down the shiver trailing up her spine.

"I don't know whether to be turned on or scared for my fucking life that you're both holding onto a pointy metal death trap," a half-awed, half-nervous Lee interrupted the moment, his eyes flickering between the two people in front of him and the scissor in their hands.

Clover was about to explain how it's only a scissor when she truly did realize how close the two of them were. She shook the blush off of her pale cheeks and stepped away at the same time George rolled his eyes and looked at Lee.

"Suck a fat one, you tosser," he pointed at Lee while shoving him lightly.

Without hesitation, Lee slowly knelt down on his knees and batted his eyelashes at George, "Anything for you, darling."

Clover immediately placed a hand over her mouth to stop her chuckles as she watched the scene play out. It was quick and brief and sudden, but Clover laughed a genuine laugh. And although she stopped it as soon as she let it out, both boys' eyes were now trained on her as if it were the rarest sight they've ever seen.

George stared at Clover curiously, not understanding how a single noise could send him back to a time of childhood joy. It was like hearing a a kid talk about their favorite toy or like watching a dog greet their owner; pure and innocent. For the first time since meeting the brooding puzzle that was Clover, he finally saw a glimpse into the real her. And little did he know, a smile of his own was forming on his face from the thought.

He shook his head and walked back into the storage room, shouting out one last time before closing the door behind him, "Get off your knees, Lee. We open in 7."

Clover helped Lee off of the floor with a small smile still lingering on her face as she followed him to the register, where she would be working with him today. And as soon as the time hit 10am, George opened the doors and let the customers flow in.

Her first day was slow and tiring. It turns out that learning how to work in a upbeat and lively joke shop when your soul is neither of those is harder than Clover thought it would be. She was used to having to fake her way through the day or force a smile on her face in front of people, but doing it non-stop with only an hour for lunch break was something she had not prepared herself for.

After the first few hours, Clover was left on her own to man the register as Lee and George worked the floor. People flooded into the store, in greater numbers than she originally assumed. And although every single person that walked in was interesting in her mind, her eyes kept automatically gravitating towards George. She watched how every time he talked to a customer, a fake smile and enthusiasm would be glued onto his face. But as soon as they left, he would turn around and let out a deep sigh. It was practiced, routine, and consistent with everyone he talked to. And it was in that moment that Clover realized that she wasn't the only one pretending.