the man he used to be

Start from the beginning

“Edmond is dead. He died forgotten in a dungeon in the Chateau d’If.” He replied, his voice bar of any emotion. His eyes, this lovely shade of blue, now cold and hard. Guarded. “I never forgot you… I never forgot this night when I last saw you. I prayed for your return every single day!” Mercedes whispered quietly, but he had heard it and for a moment the old warmth returned to his eyes. A brief flicker of hope. But there was also fear and insecurity – was she telling the truth?

He remembered that night well. How could he ever forget it? In this night, he was as close to heaven as any man could be. He was young then. Young, inexperienced and curious. In love. Without his doing memories flashed before his eyes. Of him and her, in that secluded bay by the sea.

The night air had been heavy with the smell of flowers and the salty aroma of the sea. And they had been alone. All alone. A candle was flickering in a small jar while they sat on a blanket and watched the moonlight reflect on the water. They had not stayed long… Instead, they had gone back to Mercedes’ home where she lived all alone after her father had died. And what happened then was the only memory that had kept him sane on these long, cold and lonely nights in prison. The love they had shared that night had kept him alive.

“Edmond…” He looked up and realized that Mercedes had stepped closer to him, her hand was lying on his arm and the warmth of her fingers was burning right through the thin cloth. His mouth was suddenly dry. “Mercedes…” he mumbled. Her eyes looked up at him and he saw the familiar flicker of warmth in the blue orbs. A small smile played on her lips as he had said her name. He wondered. Would her lips taste as sweet as all those years ago? “They told me you had died… In prison.” She whispered suddenly and lowered her gaze. Ashamed of herself, ashamed she believed these lies.

Died. He took another sharp breath. She had been told that he was dead? “I would never have married him, if I had known you were still alive… But I could not…” That was enough. These simple words, that she would have waited for him, that she had wanted to. It was enough to make his heart soar with this love he had felt all these years ago. In another life, it seemed.

Mercedes drew a surprised breath as she felt a pair of cool lips upon her own. Rough and demanding, but yet so gentle. And before her head had realized what was happening, her body had reacted. She returned the kiss, put her arms around his tall frame and pulled him closer.

He closed his eyes as all those emotions attacked his senses. Her smell, her taste. The feeling of her soft skin under his fingers and the lean body. Mercedes. And with this kiss all the years were forgotten. His lips hungrily devoured hers and he pulled her closer to his body, wanting to bathe in her warmth and in the peace and love her presence brought him.

He hardly realized they were moving until Mercedes leant back and he hovered above her. Her dark brown curls were spread out on the bed, her eyes were unsure but also dark with desire. It made his heart clench in tenderness. Yes, he had had other women. Many of them. But none had made him feel this way. With another silent moan Edmond pressed his lips back to hers and let his hands move across her body. He remembered every inch of it and was eager to explore it again. It was different this time. They were no longer two shy, young lovers, curious and a little afraid of their own desire. No. This time they both knew what they were doing. There was no hesitation in the way they touched. No question.

Edmond sighed and tilted his head back as Mercedes suddenly pressed her hands against his chest. He had had many women over the years, but it had hardly ever meant anything. This time it did. Mercedes’ touch sent shivers through him. It was, as if her soft touches alone could heal all his scars. He closed his eyes, forcing the dark thoughts away. He did not want to think of the past. The betrayals. His hurt. His despair.