The King of Omashu

Start from the beginning

  “You guys are gonna love Omashu,” Aang started. “The people here are the friendliest in the world.”

  They looked at the large wall separating Omashu from the outside. There were a few guards in the front and one of them was chewing out a cabbage merchant.

  “What kind of slum do you think this is?” One of them demanded, holding one of the cabbages.

  He smashed the cabbage between his hands and slapped two out of the man’s hands. He then stomped on the ground, earthbending the cart of cabbages away.

  The cart sailed high in the air before gravity did its thing and claimed the cart and vegetables, dragging them into the chasm.

  “No! My cabbages!” The merchant cried, looking over the edge of the bridge.

  The small group looked over the edge, too.

  “Uh, things must have changed a bit over a hundred years,” Hikari said uncertainly.

  They stood up straight and prepared to continue.

  “Just keep smiling,” Aang advised, putting on a large, fake grin.

  Katara laughed nervously as she and her brother followed their young friends.

  “You have an idea?” Aang asked, keeping his large smile on.

  “One so ridiculous that it just might work,” Hikari replied, nervously fidgeting with the strap of the purple satchel that she was holding. “Just follow my lead.”

  Aang subtly nodded.

  When they reached about eight feet in front of the guards, the main guy rose a giant boulder above the twins’ heads.

  “State your business!” He demanded rudely.

  Hikari sped forward with her brother following. “Our business is our business, young man, and none of yours!” She used her best old-lady voice.

  Aang followed her lead, catching on. “I’ve got half a mind to bend you over my knee and paddle your backside!” He jabbed a finger at the solder, who, startled, dropped the boulder.

  The Water Tribe siblings were horrified. Sokka’s eyes went wide and one started twitching as his mouth dropped. Katara’s eyes went wide as well as she slowly shook her head in horrified disbelief.

  “Settle down, old-timers,” The guard said. “Just tell me who you are.”

  Hikari took the lead again. “My name’s Uma. Uma... Pippenpadlopsicopolis.”

  “And I’m her brother, Bonzoo Pippenpadlopsiccopolis… the third!”

  Hikari stifled a laugh. “The third?”

  “I’m improvising here.”

  “And these are my grandkids,” Aang continued.

  Katara walked up and waved. “Hi. June Pippenpadlopsicopolis. Nice to meet you.”

  The guard eyed Hikari, then Aang, then Katara. He pointed at Katara. “You seem like a responsible young lady. See that your grandfather and great aunt stay out of trouble. Enjoy Omashu.”