Kettle Corn | Ashima

Kettle corn is an amazing and delicious snack, which I absolutely love! Today I'll be covering how to make it. :) 

The only difference between popcorn and kettle corn is a little bit of sugar. Unlike popcorn, kettle corn is cooked with sugar, which when heated melts and coats the popping kernels making them both sweet and salty. If you'd prefer a not-sweet popcorn, I'd recommend regular popcorn. 

Ingredients: 

Vegetable oil (You can use your favorite neutral cooking oil here. Refined coconut oil also makes a fabulous kettle corn oil as it has a clean, light flavor [unrefined will make your popcorn taste like coconut]. But I think cheap, easily accessible vegetable or canola oil gives you the most classic fair-time flavor.)

- Popcorn kernels

- Granulated sugar

- Salt

Directions: 

1. Set a large bowl on the counter to pour your popped kettle corn into.

2. To a large heavy-bottomed pot (with a lid) add oil and 3 kernels of popcorn. Cover and heat over medium-high heat (medium if your stove runs hot) until you hear all 3 kernels pop.

3. Add the rest of your popcorn and shake the pan for a few seconds to coat the kernels. Pour sugar and salt directly over the popcorn. Cover and shake for 3 seconds, rest for 3 seconds, repeat, until popcorn begins to pop steadily.

4. Once that starts, shake pan mostly continuously, pausing occasionally to listen for breaks in popping. Once there is about a 2-second break between pops, pull from heat. Transfer popcorn immediately to your bowl.

5. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes (sugar will be VERY hot) before eating. Keep an eye out for unpopped kernels as you eat, and enjoy.

I hope you guys enjoy your kettle corn! I know I certainly will. 

- Ashima (AutumnDahlia5) -