Chapter 2 - Mistakes Were Made

The grey-toned bunny grunted as she dropped the medium-sized basket of laundry by her bed, neatly folded and warm. That was that, all finished for the day and nothing ahead of her but a quiet evening. A rumble of distant thunder shook the tiny, sound-sieve of an apartment. Ah. A quiet but rainy evening. She was glad she got the laundry done already. It was a full two blocks between the laundromat and her apartment building and a storm soaking her fresh-washed clothes would have been less than amusing. She flopped onto her bed, pulling the covers up to her tummy and wedging her extra 'reading' pillow under her shoulders to prop her up more. She pulled out her phone and looked at the indexed tab.

The bunny paused briefly, contending with a pickle of guilt.  Nick had been so serious about her not doing this. She was absolutely going against his wishes on this but she felt that he was completely off base.  And frankly, it was downright insulting to insinuate that she was not emotionally stable enough to handle ... this. It was something that had come up before between them. Yes, bunnies were emotionally sensitive because they were naturally altruistic due to their highly communal nature. But she was not like other bunnies. The video with the bear showed that just fine. She shook her head. Nick was wrong about it; nothing that someone who doesn't even know her could write could be bad enough to shake her. Disgust, surprise and appall perhaps, but not genuinely upset.  She would get over any of that.

Judy smiled and started looking through the list of stories. She frowned immediately.

"Oh sweet cheese and c- woah. No no no... Filters, there's gotta be filters... I don't have to start with a brain full of a teenaged buck's fantasies." She laughed to herself. She found a filter element on the site and employed it against the tag "Intercourse".

The count dropped from 7210 to about 1630. Judy splayed her ears and blanched at that. She closed her eyes and took in a deep breath. "At least I can say I'm attractive. This is... This is not a bad thing.  I can deal with that."  She continued to scroll.  "They're strangers but I've got needs too, so I will... forgive," she stated with a paw over her chest, nodding proudly. This, she felt, was what Nick had been so worried about. No need to worry, she had no intention of peeking at strangers' secret thoughts like that.  It wasn't interesting to her. They had a right to feel, and like Nick said, it was not really her, just based off her. It should be... flattering, right? She looked at some of the other tags and filters. "Mulch piles... I don't know what half this stuff even means. What the hell are rules? Sixty Three? What's AU? Self insert? Do I wanna know?" She shook her head and just thumbed down slowly through titles looking for something interesting that did not have a hundred chapters. She wanted something short in case it was interesting and might cause her to stay up all night. Judy was prone to that.  She and her partner were visiting a primary school in the morning and those kids did not want a cranky sleepy zombie bunny.

She finally located a story that gave a rose tint to her ears, but not in the genuinely embarrassed way from before. She murmured the name of the story out loud.

"The Unbreakable Judy Hopps... Story by HareScribe111." She looked at the details. "Three chapters, eight thousand words... so that's pretty short, I could do that. Summary..." She read quietly.

Judy Hopps stands against seemingly unbeatable foes as par for the course in her everyday job, but deep down, she's a bunny like any other. What more can she give? What will Zootopia take?

The grey doe tilted her head at that summary. It seemed interesting, and she didn't recognize any tags that rubbed her the wrong way. As best she could tell, the story seemed to be about a very ordinary bunny having to do extraordinary things for her city and that was very much what she was. She opened it and began to read.

The story opened up with a somewhat jovial exchange between Judy and her partner Nick. She was immediately unnerved by how dead-on the writer had her mannerisms and those of the fox.