Chapter 1

Enala

Being the only child has it's own pros and cons. I didn't have to share anything with anyone as a child. I had a bedroom of my own, toys, food, loads and loads of cakes and  ice creams. Everything.
I had the undivided attention of my parents, who loved me more than anything in this world. We were the perfect family.

We lived in a pretty colony in Mumbai. Daddy was a doctor and mommy was the manager of a bank. It was all sunshine and rainbows until I turned twelve. Until mom left us.

Don't mistaken me, she's not dead. She just left us. I still remember what she told dad when she walked away.

"The spark is gone"

How can the spark disappear after 20 beautiful years of marriage? Apparently the marriage was holding her back from her dreams. This incident makes it hard for me to believe in love. If it's going to go away after a few years then what's the point of all the effort, right?

After mom left, dad was not in a good space. It was hard for me to see him like that. The only time he would smile was when he was with me.

So we decided to move. Daddy wanted to be as far away from India as possible so he chose New Zealand.

We moved during my summer vacation and ever since, I've lived here. I love it here. The people, the weather, the views. Everything is perfect. We took a small house and that was our paradise.

As for dad, he was an interesting man. He was so smart. Weird and unique.
He named me after an antihypertensive drug, Enalapril. Can you believe it?

That's the kind of person he was. Always happy. Grass is greener on the other side kind of person. Always seeing the positive and good in everyone. Maybe that's where my positively comes from.

We could do anything. We could conquer the world together.

But daddy passed away six months ago.
It's funny how a cardiologist dies of a heart attack.

"Have faith and work hard",  were his last words to me.

I was broken.

But I had Shawn with me. Shawn and I went to school together. He basically lived with us.

Shawn is gay and as soon as he came out to his parents, his dad kicked him out. His mom was supportive but she couldn't do anything against the will of his dad.

So he lived with us and he had many part time jobs to cover for his expenses until he dropped out after school.

After daddy's demise, I used up all the money he left for me to open a coffee shop.

Cakes and pastries always reminded me of when daddy used to bake for me during the weekends.

So here I am standing in front of my coffee shop thats opening today.

Beans 'n Cream!

Shawn chose the name. He thought it was chic.

We managed to get a cute corner in the street and the entire process was so smooth. Shawn was so supportive.

"If you are the owner then Im definitely working here", he said when I told him about the idea.

The cafe was everything that I dreamt off.
Pastel colours, cushiony comfortable chairs with round tables. A bell at the door!

"It's you and me against the world kid", said Shawn putting his hand over my shoulder and hugging.

"What about me bitch?", Said Savannah pushing his hand away.