Ten

James POV
I was at my wits end when Professor Dumbledore mysteriously answered my query.
His answer had confused me even further.

"Please tell us. We need to know what exactly happened that day" I said. "Yes, and if Voldemort knows that we Potters - the best  aurors are still alive- he'd attack us again. We need to know. We don't want Harry to be an orphan, growing up abusedly by the Muggles like he did for so many years"  said Lily.

The pain was clearly visible in her voice. I hugged her and it took a while to calm her down.

"It was Halloween night, the night Voldemort attacked you. For Muggles Halloween is the symbol of the death and dead loved ones. But for us Halloween is the beginning of a new journey. The Muggle might not have died,he or she may just have knocked out, kicked out by some unseen force or destiny into the world of witches and wizards and they'd find themselves waking up and getting to know the magical sides of themselves and the magic around them. On this day - on Halloween - the Dark Arts seem to be weak - or rather less powerful.
When Slytherin left the school,he did not leave it himself. He was kicked out. He insisted on only wizard born - pureblood - students to study at Hogwarts. He wanted Hogwarts to teach the Dark Arts - for which his pretext was that when the students knew the real stuff, they'd be able to defend themselves easily. But he had his own selfish motives behind the two ideas.
Ravenclaw, who was gifted at reading minds, ofcourse not known to Slytherin read his mind and she alerted the other two founders before Slytherin could put forth his ideas. His ideas were rejected and he was kicked out for such evil motives. And when a witch or wizard is sacked out on a significant day, that day gains more powerful. It would be capable to weaken the Dark Arts for twenty four hours.

You were attacked in Halloween night,by an unsuspecting Voldemort. That's why the curse did not work. But when Voldemort saw your bodies lying limp and motionless he thought you were dead.

He went forth to attack Harry. Little did he know that when he performed the third time any of the unforgivable curses it would backfire. As it was Halloween Voldemort managed to hold on to dear life."

When he had finished everyone in the room was astonished.

Harry did not come near us. He might have thought that we are imposters.