Chapter 1

The ocean's waters were calm, and the sun burned bright in the sky, its light glittering on the water's surface. Abysswatcher sat on the bank, his eyes fixed on a weird sea-shell that was held between his claws.

Another SeaWing was with him; Snaggletooth. The larger dragon stared at his son with sharp yellow eyes. "That one looks fine, take it."

Abysswatcher turned towards his father after putting the shell in his pouch. "Have you found any yet?" He asked, his eyes focused on Snaggletooth's injured mouth.

"No," the sky-blue SeaWing replied. "I think that's enough though. How much do you have?" He questioned.

"25," Abysswatcher responded, his tail twitching. "The queen also asked for some giant pearls," he reminded. He slid towards the water, his talons sinking into the warm sand. I hope Aurora is ok. I haven't seen her in a while. The hybrid sunk into the warm water, relish sweeping over him as the water hugged his scales. 

Snaggletooth followed his son into the water. They both dove down, their eyes darting around to watch for clams resting on the seafloor. 

Abysswatcher spotted one. He grasped the clam in his palm and broke it open, revealing the shimmering white pearl inside. He took it carefully between his claws and placed it in the pouch where he was keeping the seashells. After gathering a few more pearls, his thoughts began to wonder. He lowered his head, feeling empty. He knew why the queen had sent them out here. He was half-NightWing, the tribe that the SeaWings didn't favor too much. Queen Clam viewed them as mysterious and un-trustworthy. 

I didn't choose to have a NightWing as a mother. He thought about Dreamstalker, who had died some time ago. His sister, Moonglider, was the queen of the NightWings. He couldn't imagine the stress she was going through. Ever since he had been born, the majority of the SeaWings had treated him and his father terribly. Him- for being half NightWing, and his father- for even falling for a NightWing in the first place. Maybe I truly reside with the NightWings, Abysswatcher thought, but it's too dangerous. 

Talons tugged him sharply out of the water. Snaggletooth's eyes were narrowed. "Are you daydreaming again? Did you even see what I was flashing you in the water?" He asked as he placed the pearls in the pouch.

"S-sorry, I was thinking about things," Abysswatcher sighed, turning away.

"That's always the excuse," Snaggletooth snapped. His yellow eyes softened and he moved closer to his son. "Is something wrong? Abysswatcher, you know you can talk to me."

The blue-gray dragon lowered his gaze. "I'm just thinking about how life has been going. I miss my mother. I hardly even see my sister anymore," he muttered. "And Queen Clam doesn't like us. She probably trusts squids more than she trusts us."

Snaggletooth placed his webbed talons on his son's head. "I know. But we can't change that. So we'll only have to live with this."

"I thought maybe... we should live with the NightWings," Abysswatcher chipped in. "It'd be better living with my own kind."

"The SeaWings are your own kind too," Snaggletooth grunted, raising a claw. "And plus, it's dangerous there. Queen Fissure would kill you," he hissed.

"My sister is the queen of the NightWings. She wouldn't let any dragon lay a claw on me, even if that dragon is that stupid SkyWing," Abysswatcher growled. He looked away. "But.. if that's what you want, I'll stay here, in the Kingdom of the Sea."

"Thank you," Snaggletooth nodded. He whipped around in the water, blinking. "Now let's return."

Abysswatcher entered the Summer Palace, his cyan eyes wondering around. He hadn't been born in the time when it had been destroyed, and neither had his father, but he heard stories of how SkyWings had bombed the place years and years ago. It had been rebuilt, but some of the SeaWings were still adding things and trying to expand it. 

"Ah, Abysswatcher and Snaggletooth," a large SeaWing greeted them, standing at the edge of the small pool. As the two dragons waded towards him, he stretched out a forepaw, talons extending. "I'll take it from here."

Snaggletooth narrowed his eyes. "What do you mean? Can we not be near the queen?" He hissed.

"You can," the SeaWing said. He raised his long, curved claw and pointed to Abysswatcher. "But not him."

Before Abysswatcher could protest, Snaggletooth bared his teeth, looking furious. "I won't allow my son to get treated this way," he snarled, his large teeth glinting in the sunlight.

The SeaWing clutched his spear, smirking. "Nothing you can do about it, squid-hunter," he sneered, laughing at the insult. "I'm a high-ranked guard. You better not bare your fangs at me, unless you'd like me to tell the queen so that you can be treated like sand even more!" He cackled, flicking his tail.

Snaggletooth snorted, his eyes narrowed. He huffed in annoyance and glanced at his son apologetically, then grabbed the pouch and flew off with the SeaWing guard toward Queen Clam's throne.

Abysswatcher slowly turned away, his head hanging low. Why am I still here? Why can't I be with the NightWings? He turned and cast a longing glance at the dens, which housed SeaWings. They were talking with each other and laughing. That should be me.. with the NightWings. But I can't just leave. I have to stay for my father's sake. He's still grieving over Dreamstalker.

Slowly, the hybrid climbed out of the water, water streaming off of his scales. He glanced around, standing tall. I have to gain their trust. 

(uploaded again after some edits)