chapter twelve | gift

Start from the beginning

There's a silence. Everyone knew they didn't put as much work in. Tom and Anthony start protesting, saying that they did help you two.

"They organised everything." You interject. "Me and Pom aren't the best with technology, so they helped us with putting the presentation together, and organizing times for us to meet, and finding materials for us to use" It was partially true - the boys maybe didn't put in as much effort into the presentation, but they certainly did help you and Pom whenever you bribed them with a promise of food or a sexual favor. The latter never happened, but it definitely made them work that extra bit harder.

The rest of the group nod in agreement to your statement. Sebastian's looking between the four of you, and sighs as he gives individual feedback.

"So you all get a B. Well done guys, off you go", bluntly dismissing you all. The boys run out, obviously intimidated by the fact they were called out on their bullshit.

"Wanna grab a coffee? We can just relax together now that that stress has passed" Pom says, smiling at you.

"Sure, I'll meet you at my place in 20 minutes, I know a good spot. Let me put on something more comfortable". You liked Pom, and she leaves the room so that it's just you and Mr. Stan. Thank god you were always slow at packing up your things.

He's come up behind you, and snaked his hands around you. "You looked distracted throughout that presentation. Anything... particular on your mind?" He seems to have forgotten about his worries when it was just you and him.

"Well, who can blame me? I had a piece of art staring at me the entire time"

He laughs lowly at that comment. "I have a gift for you, come to the back of the hall"

He grabs your hand and drags you with him. You're red in the face. A gift? A little bit too much, as you didn't do much.

"It's nothing special. I found it in the store you work at-"

"So you've resulted to stalking me now-", rolling your eyes.

He places his pointer finger on your lips. "Shush. It's a book I had when I was a student here. And yes, I cam back here for more. Lucky me, wouldn't have found you", and he produces a damaged book from behind his back.

You gasp lightly. It had obviously been previously loved, with corners of it folded, pages marked, the front cover damaged. It's title read something along the lines of "On War: A History Behind What Makes States Start One", and was probably first published in the early 50s.

"I have... no idea what to say". You skim the chapter index, and at least it doesn't focus to heavily on World War I or World War II. "Thank you so much"

"Well, after the first term exams, we'll be looking at this sort of stuff. You should read it over the Christmas holidays. Get a head start and what not."

"Shit, I forgot about those." There was just over a month to revise for everything you learnt so far, and that hasn't been at the top of your priorities.

"Well. If you wanted to, you could always come to my place. Help you focus your revision. Maybe a few treats in return", all the while placing soft kisses on your neck. You took your bottom lip between your teeth as you tried to think about the proposition.

"Mhmmm. What did you have in mind?"

"Well, I can't tell you what will be on the exam, but I can give you hints-", he chuckles.

You sigh, "I meant the treats you mentioned."

"I'm giving you a hint for that right now", biting on your neck now. You go to run your hands in his hair in an effort to make him come closer to you, when he grunts and pulls away.

"Not now darling. You've been teasing me for ages, now I get to do the same for you." You groan and close your eyes in disappointment.

"Here's my address", and passes you a post-it note. There's a smiley face scrawled on it, which is pretty cute.

"Wait, you don't live on campus?"

"I do have a life outside these buildings you know?" Janet you idiot. Of course he does.

"By the way, my roommate is Professor Evans. I'll make sure he's out when you do decide to come round. My number's on the back", winking whilst he leaves, as per usual.

- - - -