The Old Man and the guards accompanying him left the room. Mila scrambled out of her papa's arms towards the object on the floor. She didn't hold back a sob as she clutched the pair of shoes to her chest. He immediately picked her up in his arms, not caring that she was crying because of some old pair of stained shoes. Soft nothings echoed in her ears, a hand rubbed circles on her back.

Mila took a second to breathe, remembering what was at stake with this mission. She pulled herself together and stood up, wiping her eyes and runny nose with long sleeve t-shirt. "Suit up, we have a mission to complete". Her cold words surprised him. And with that, Mila turned away to change into her black and green suit, mentally preparing herself for taking another life.

***

The night sky really was extraordinary, the way the stars lit up the sky and how the city lights reflected in the water around the city. Washington D.C was a place Mila had never even heard of until now.

Loud cars zipped past her, the wind blowing through her hair. It felt good on her skin and on her scalp. The weight of her shoulders from her hair felt good and free. The ghost of a smile graced her face, until a cold hand on her neck pulled her back into reality. The dirty rooftop the pair were on wasn't the nicest place to be, but it sure beats a cold cell. Mila wrapped her fingers around the sniper tighter.

The target was simple, a man behind the wall in front of her, wound him there and then finish him in the building, easy. She could do this in her sleep, but something felt wrong. "Papa, something doesn't feel right," she whispered.

"What do you mean?" His voice was laced with concern.

"I don't know, something just, feels off". Her hand went to her eyebrow, subconsciously rubbing it.

With the sniper set in place, he looked down at Mila and spoke. "Let me take the shot Mila".

She stopped what she was doing to look at him. "What? No that's my job. My mission. That's what I'm here to do papa I-". He cut her off.

"-You are out of it right now, I don't know what's going on in your head and I don't think you do either," he placed one hand on her cheek, "let me do this Mila".

She thought about it for a minute, "Okay, fine".

He got into position with Mila squatted down on his right. A moment of silence, before three gun shots went off, deafening her momentarily. Her papa stood up, prepared to run. Mila got up just as quickly. The shadow of a man running towards them in a building filled her gaze.

"Run Mila run," his voice was sharp. She was still in shock from the man he shot through a building. That wasn't the plan. He failed his mission earlier but she had never seen him like this. The Soldier was hunting this man out and he succeeded. There was no way that man survived three bullets to the chest.

"Mila you need to run," he pulled her out of her trance.

"What? No I'm not leaving papa," she whispered. He placed his hand on her bicep.

"You have to, now go. That's an order," his voice was cold. He didn't want it to be and she knew he didn't mean it, but it still hurt.

"Okay". She stood up from her spot on the roof.

"Te iubesc". That was the last thing he said to her before she took off down the stairs of the building and he took off in the opposite direction. I love you

Her heart was pounding in her ears and her vision was blurred from the tears she was fighting back. He was distracting the man by throwing himself in the way. Dark hallways impaired her vision, the city lights from outside being her only source of light.

Mila felt as if she had been running for hours, but it was only a few minutes. Swerving in and out of hallways and staircases. Just as she was about to get out using the fire exit, an elbow hit her throat. She fell to the ground with a thud, the breath being knocked out of her. Mila rolled out of the way of a foot and when she caught her breath again, she flipped herself back onto her feet. Fists up ready for a fight, the woman was good, but not good enough. Mila pinned her to the floor, ready to pull one of the knives from her waist, when a sharp pain flooded her leg. Looking down, Mila saw the stab wound in her upper thigh.

With her compromised state, two men pulled Mila off the blonde woman who was clad in pink scrubs and cuffed her. Her vision going in and out as she was thrown into a car. Mila could only hope her papa got away.

***

Hours of being locked up in an interrogation room did nothing but bore the girl. Listening to five different men whine and moan about how she needed to speak or so help her made Mila want to rip her ears off. Hydra taught more than one thing about interrogation. One, they taught her how to interrogate someone and two, they taught her to never speak if she was the one being interrogated, even if the hurt her.

She had no idea where she was and how had taken her, all she knew was that the stab wound the scrub lady left in her leg was not getting any better. The colour was leaving her face and her breathing was growing rapid. The men who came in and out of the room didn't help either. One of them even pushed their finger into the stab just to see if that would make her talk. Her mind kept trailing back to the rooftop with her papa. She couldn't get this thought out of her head. Did papa sacrifice himself so she could get away? Or did he leave her alone for a reason?

She felt a wave of fatigue wash over her as the door opened once more. This time a woman walked in, immediately demanding attention. Mila didn't care enough to give it to her. She had red hair very similar to the sweaty mop that sat upon her own head. The woman sat in the chair in front of Mila, staring her down. This woman showed no emotion on her face, much like Mila had been taught to do. 

"Who do you work for?" No answer. Her green eyes rolled around in boredom. The woman did not like that.

"Who sent you here?" Mila's mouth was sealed tight. The woman kept asking questions that Mila gave no answer to. The woman licked her lips in frustration, she wasn't getting anywhere with her. As she opened her mouth to speak she heard a splash on the floor. Looking under the table, the woman saw the amount of blood Mila had lost.

She quickly stood from her seat and hustled towards Mila. "How long has it been like this?" Mila said nothing. "Listen kid I don't care who sent you right now, I need to know how long you've been like this so you don't die on my floor".

Mila pursed her lips into a tight line before sighing and finally speaking for the first time since her papa left her. "A few hours," her accent shining through. The red-haired woman looked at her surprised. She called in a medic to take a look at the girls wound before asking one last question.

"How old are you kid?" She wasn't expecting an answer much less the one she was given.

"14," Mila breathed.

"Natasha," she spoke, a small smirk played at her lips. An idea forming in her mind.

Mila was confused as to why this woman just told her her name. She was taught never to do that. Well there's a first time for everything. "Mila". She knew she shouldn't have said anything, but this woman wanted to help her. That must have meant something right?

Here we are. We are finally in Captain America: The Winter Soldier! I hope you guys are enjoying the story so far and I'm so excited for you to read what is coming next. I have so many ideas for what is going to happen going forward. Also thank you so much for over 1k reads! That's crazy. Please let me know what you think and if you have any questions about anything, I would be happy to answer them.

-Emma:)