EIGHTEEN

It was not a restful night for James, tossing and turning in his sleep. The floor has never been a comfortable place to sleep for anyone, especially him. Nightmares kept him awake, the screams of his daughter, the sight of her pale and unconscious in his arms. The green serum flowing through her veins.

Mila slept like a baby that night, not dreams or nightmares. just peaceful silence. However she did wake up with a pounding headache, an uneasy feeling running through her stomach and an intense pain in her forearms and biceps.

She tried to keep her pain hidden but her papa knew her too well. He could see how her face would scrunch up when she liftred her arms to change her shirt or how a small wince would escape her lips when she walked into the corner of the cot. She didn't want him to worry so she was grateful when he didn't say anything to her about it.

Mila could already feel a difference with the serum, she could breathe better than before, she didn't grow as tired easily, her vision had improved by a bit even though she could see perfectly fine before. Everything felt sharper and cleaner. 

A few hours had gone by since the pair had woken up, silence followed them around not knowing what to say to each other. An uneasy feeling settled in her stomach, she couldn't find the words to describe it. James felt a shift in the room, glancing over to Mila he saw the fear in her eyes. 

"Mila?" He drifted towards her, gently wrapping his hand around her bicep. She stood back from him, pulling her arm out from his grip. A small wince escaped her lips. James took a step back immediately, worry washing over him. Scared he hurt his daughter. Mila saw the look in his eyes and stepped towards him.

"I'm okay papa, you didn't hurt me," she consoled. The bright blue in his eyes faded, he looked down at both his hands, shame and embarrassment washing over him.

"I'm sorry Mila," he whispered, still staring down at his hands. Mila took a step forward. "No. Mila I'm sorry".

"Papa it's okay, you didn't hurt me". She continued walking towards him, until she was able to reach out for his hands. Mila cupped his big hands into hers. "You didn't hurt me, I just feel like something bad is about to happen papa and I don't know what to do," she was trying to make herself sound stronger than she was.

Her voice was enough to snap him out of whatever trance he was in. He wrapped his arms around her upon hearing her worries. "It's okay Mila".

The pair held each other tightly for a few minutes before a loud knock on the door pulled James' head towards the entrance of their cell. He looked down at Mila, scanning over her panicked expression. James rested his forehead against her, before letting her go and opening the door. 

"Is she ready?" The guard gripped his gun tighter upon seeing the Soldier's face.

James looked back at Mila, dressed in her training suit. He waited for her approval, she nodded at her papa. "Yes".

James stepped out of the way for Mila to exit. Her small feet left no sound as she marched down the nearly empty hallway, turning back once to look at her papa. the shadow of a smile on her face.

***

More doctors flooded the room she was in. Mila was aware of the lack of Dr. Pavlov and it sent the uneasy feeling further into her stomach. Without her around these people could really hurt her. 

Tests were being done and her temperature was being checked every five minutes. She was in there for nearly an hour before she was unhooked and sent off into the next room. A cold hand pulled her back harshly. Mila turned to see Irina's pale hand on her shoulder. The woman still looked ugly. "This way Mila," she spoke coldly. Mila's body was pulled towards the training room.