SIXTEEN

One year ago

"James I need to talk to you" Yana whispered, tugging on his hand. He turned around, the small smile on his face contorting into a worried look.  Her eyes were clouded with sadness. Mila ran back and forth around the office, her arms sticking out from her sides. Floating her arms out like a butterfly.

James placed his hand on her shoulder, "What's wrong Yana?" 

"Nothings wrong, I just, there's something I think we should discuss" she replied. Yana looked longingly at the little girl running around the room, a smile on her face.

"Okay," worry laced his voice. Yana pulled him into the corner of her office. The 9 year old paid no attention to the anxious couple. 

"I was thinking, I um," she found herself struggling on her words. James placed a comforting hand on her bicep.

"Hey, it's okay, you can tell me," he soothed. She nodded her head quickly.

"I know, I know" her voice was weak. She didn't know how to tell him. Yana could hear her heart beating in her ears. "James I know about your nightmares," she was hesitant. He froze, swallowing back the numbness eating at him. "I know there about Mila, and myself. I know how it feels. I get them too," she placed her warm hands on his cheeks.

"Yana I-" he began but was interrupted.

"I need you to promise me something. I need you to promise us something," she pointed between herself and him. Her eyes filled with tears but she held her head up strong. "If something were to ever happen to one of us, the other can not interfere. We know how these people work. We can not get in the way James. One of us has to be with Mila". Yana looked at the little girl she loved like a daughter, then back to the man she was learning to love.

"Yana you know I can't do that" he tried to reason with her.

"James, please. Promise me. Promise me you will not interfere if something were to happen to me,"  she pleaded. The look in her eyes broke him down. He could feel his walls collapsing just for this woman. James knew he would do anything for his daughter, even if it meant making a promise he didn't want to make.

"I promise," he breathed.

"Make me promise it," she squeezed his hand, blinking hard to stop her tears.

"Promise me Yana, that you will not interfere if something were to happen to me" he whispered.

"I promise". She stood on her tiptoes, resting her forehead on his. James wiped her tears away with his thumbs, stopping to look her in the eyes. He hesitated before eventually connecting his lips with hers. She kissed back with passion and love. 

"Eww" a small voice pulled them apart. Mila was looking up at the pair, disgust visible on her freckled face. James stifled a laugh, bending down to scoop Mila up. She laughed, wrapping one arm around her papa and the other around Yana.

***

"Strike with your stronger foot Mila. Pivot on your left to get more power in your kick," Irina instructed. Mila tried to take a deep breath but she couldn't catch it. She had been training for six hours now and hadn't had a break. Irina was working her to the bone.

"I know, I'm sorry," she apologized.

"Don't waste your breath apologizing, just fix it and don't screw up again". The woman was mad. Mila was sure the tight, slick back blonde bun she wore her hair in was squeezing the woman's brain cells together.