Persistance pays off

It's the only way we can truly live.
                                                                             To love desperately , to feel everything... N. R. Hart
(Please forgive a pixelated picture)

            Sitting at her ornate mirror in her boudoir  Elise stares at her reflection ,  contemplating on the events of the day.  
   Who knew that a quiet walk along the beach would bring a mysterious man into her life.
              Never had she been more confused and restless and at the same time the felt peaceful and a sense of anticipation.
The sound of Robinson's  voice startled her out of her musing.
     His speaking in French to her ladies maid grated on her nerves.
         She knows he's demanding  her poor frazzled maid to redo the beads on the gown.  She will be wearing it in act two and it has to be spectacular.
                  The tall dark stranger's face comes into her mind  unbidden once again and a wistful smile plays at her lips.

            "Smiling McKenna?"  Robinson asks in a teasing tone. He had entered her room with the ease of wispy smoke.

               " Seems appropriate."  She knew his methods of drawing her out , trying to make her divulge her innermost thoughts.

                  He didn't need to ask her what she was thinking, he already  knew what had invoked the sweet smile to appear on her lovely face.

             "He was a rather handsome young man, if ill mannered.  He was tenacious, I'll give him that. I'll keep an eye on him."  said Robinson  looking her straight in the eye.

         "I'm sure you will!"   Elise knew  how he ' kept his eyes' on  interested suitors. They never lasted long.

          The air became heavy as an unspoken understanding  went between them.

       " Is he the one ?"  She finally asked breathlessly. Daring to ruffle Robinson's feathers.

       He answers her back with his own question. 

    "Is he?   Only you can tell for certain." 

      Elise feels her heart stutter and her face grows hot under his penetrating gaze. She felt like he could see right into her mind.
He has the power to see the hidden desires of  her heart.

     "Now, tomorrow night......"
Suddenly the atmosphere in the room changes again and William Robinson was in charge .     "Keep them guessing.  Keep the mystery."

      "Success within control!" They both said in unison.

          She looked up at her manager and smiled coyly.  She liked to tease him as much as she could get away with.

           His eyes narrowed as he spoke , " Good night McKenna." 
************

            Richard tried to stretch out on the outdoor settee that was  unfortunately, his uncomfortable bed for the night.
His long legs and arms  protested against the limited space, going far passed the arm rest. His neck felt like it had a fist sized knot in it.
   He was obliged to sleep outside on the porch in a out of the way corner .
        Sleep was a variable when he had to do it with one eye open.  He couldn't  risk being caught and  thrown out before he even had the chance to be a proper guest.
               Being thrown out of the dining room  wasn't in his favor either.

He squinted at his pocket watch and grimaced.
6a.m.
Better get a move on. He knew from reading about her , that Elise would arise early on performance days and get an head start to her morning.
His muscles protested as he stood awkwardly on his feet. He ignored the tingles and shooting pain as the blood began circulating though his body.
He yawned loudly and shook out his legs. Then looked down at his crumpled, disheveled suit. Oh well, he thought to himself.
Never mind about his appearance, he had more important things to think about.
Number one is getting to Elise while she is still in her room.