The Great Escape

Ten years later........

                  The open apartment window let in a cacophony of street sounds.  The hustle and bustle of the out side world  Richard desperately needed  to shut out.

   Taxi cabs blared their horns at other cars. The harsh discordant mixture of sounds  grated on Richards nerves as he struggled to  write a ending to his latest play.

           The sweet music of Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini, his favorite tune, playing in the background.
   It once helped soothe his frayed nerves but today,  not so much. In fact ,  not at all.

        He wasn't sure what was troubling him,  but he felt  hollow inside, despondent and irritable.
    He looked around his apartment, and felt dissatisfied.   He paced  the floor , like a caged animal, hating the green shag rug he trod upon.
  He had moved to the upscale neighborhood five years ago when he became one of   Chicago's leading playwrights.
       He felt he deserved a taste of the high life and his life reflected that. But it was a disappointment.  Somehow he just didn't fit in.
              There were parties where he practically knew no one, and fast women who only wanted him for his money and sex.  His latest mistake thought that if you slept with the play write you  would definitely get picked for the lead in the play.
     Richard tried to explain to her that it didn't work that way and he had no control over who actually acted in his plays .

               His eyes lingered on the playbill of 'To much Spring', his first play that skyrocketed him to  fame and fortune.
      There were  multiple  awards around the sumptuous apartment, and expensive furniture and tchotchkes.
   No female touches in this apartment. 
        His latest 'girlfriend' had moved out two months ago and taken her belongings and a few of his with her when her  he couldn't get her the lead .

         Now single again, he poured his heart out into his latest play hoping ,without the unwelcome distraction,  he could complete it and start casting the damn thing.

              But no.

        He stared at a blank page in his typewriter and  felt the utter bewilderment of writers block.

   He hated that feeling.

           It didn't come to him often ,  but when it did he knew there was something he had to figure out quickly or he'd sink into a deep depression that could take weeks to escape from.

         He slammed his hands down on the mahogany desk  then ran his sore fingers through his unruly black hair.

   That's it ! He had enough. Maybe a change of scenery would help his mood and focus. 

    He packed a overnight bag and headed out the door.

It was a long way down to the parking lot and he was met half way by his manager. Damn him and his less than perfect timing!

"Ah ha," Jacob Hill exclaimed pointing to the suitcase.

"Haha, what?" Richard said acting nonchalantly to the look on his managers stunned face.

"Where are you going?" Jacob's voice getting higher with anxiety.

"I don't know."

"When will you be back ?"

"I don't know."

"Richard , what about the play? Is it finished?"

A blank stare was all the answer Richard could give.