Chapter 16: Present

After a quicker morning than anticipated, even with the conversation she'd had with Sasuke, Ino was greeted by Sai, who had the keys to the safe house that she would be staying in. She wasn't looking forward to staying there, but at least she'd be able to maintain her usual daily routine. There was just one thing she'd yet to deal with, and she wasn't entirely sure if she wanted to.

"Ready?" Sai asked.

Ino rubbed her forehead, heaving a sigh. "Yeah, I guess I am. Sorry, I'm just... Not really thrilled about this idea." Who would be in her position? She wanted to go home to her own bed and feel safe. Unfortunately, her home wasn't the safest place for her to be at the moment. Was this how Sakura felt after she'd been attacked? No... perhaps not as severe, but if it was anything like what she was feeling, it made a lot more sense why Sakura had chosen to stay with Sasuke.

"You needn't worry," he said reassuringly. "I won't let anything happen to you." His words were sincere, giving Ino a sense of relief. Even if she felt incredibly awkward around him, she could at least count on him. He'd been more than helpful during this process, even if he'd made a few missteps along the way.

"Thanks," she said back, releasing a breath she hadn't realized she was holding. "Really, I mean it. You've... been a lot more helpful and supportive throughout this than what's expected of you." He seemed surprised by her comment, based on the expression on his face.

"It is part of my job," he said, confused by her comment. Was he doing more than was expected? He was confident that protecting someone also meant making them feel safe and comfortable. Having them on edge made his job more difficult; they were prone to impulsive reactions instead of clear-minded decisions. The calmer they were, the easier it was to look after them, nothing more.

"Well, we should probably get going, shouldn't we?" Ino said, slinging her bag over her shoulder. "I have all of the files I need, and I'm assuming we'll have access to a secure network there for research, right?" She had a VPN she could work through, but the more security she had, the better.

"Yes, you'll be able to connect to a secure network. Cell phones will have to be turned off, but we will have access to burner phones, and there will be a landline. No one knows of the location, not even your best friend." Sai knew Ino would have liked her friend to be aware, but the less they knew, the better. That way, the people after her couldn't use them to find her. Detective Uchiha had access to the information for emergency purposes, but only if it was necessary; Sai had made sure that he had clearance for that exact reason, and the clearance was limited. Detective Uzumaki and Chief Hatake knew as well, but nobody else was aware of it outside of that small circle.

"Sucks, but if that's the best we've got, that's the best we've got. As long as there's some way to get in touch with them, especially for emergencies, then that's enough for me." Any sort of emergency would be necessary.

Just as they were entering the parking lot, Ino felt her phone go off; out of curiosity, she checked it, surprised at who it was. Why would Sasuke, of all people, be texting her?

Sorry to bother you, but... what does Sakura like?

What does Sakura like, huh? Oh, this sounded like it was going to be juicy.

"It would be wise to turn your phone off for the drive," Sai recommended as they reached his car.

"I will once we're leaving here. I just need to send this message." It was important for her friend.

She likes simple things. She's not one for jewelry, though she'll wear it if you buy it for her. Necklaces are your best bet; she can't really wear rings or bracelets, and she's not a fan of earrings. A pretty headband in either mint green or red would be good. Otherwise, take her for a spa day or a massage. Or maybe a movie. She was talking about a new one coming out. I'll find the name and send it to you later. Gotta run.