Chapter 25

"Liz, hurry up and get ready," Sam said through the door as my eyes opened to the sunlight streaming through the windows lighting up the empty room. "Cliff is going to be here any minute, and I need to talk to you about something concerning the indents in the steering wheel from last night."

          I groaned as I pushed myself up in the bed, my back yelling at me as I was sleeping in a ball. "I'm up," I said, "what should I wear?"

          Sam opened the door and sighed, "You just woke up, didn't you," she asked as I sat on my knees smiling like a fool in sweatpants and a sports bra. "Well, at least you're not easily embarrassed with me coming in and seeing you in just a sports bra."

          "I changed in a dressing room full of women. I'd be comfortable if you saw me in a regular bra," I explained as she walked into the closet, pulling out grey slacks and a red shirt that had frills over it.

          "Wear this and your black blazer or one that matches the pants," she said with a shrug as I chuckled.

          "First of all, the grey slacks won't go well with the shirt or any of my blazers," I began, sliding off the bed. "Second of all, what do you need to tell me," I asked, walking to the closet to get the right colored slacks and the appropriate blazer

          Sam sighed as I changed in the closet, "Well," she said with a sigh after she chuckled. "I'm not the goddess of beauty and outfitting," she said as I got the shirt on after switching bras. "What I need to tell you is that I talked to the King about the steering wheel yesterday," she began as I slid on the slacks.

          "Okay, what did he say?"

          Sam sighed from the room as I stepped out of the closet, putting on my blazer, "He said that strength will be a part of your powers," she answered. "He seemed surprised when I told him this because both the fates and the god of creation shouldn't be giving you two powers unless he and the queen are going to die soon or there's a major war."

          I shook my head, "Why would they want us to fight in a war when we're only college students," I asked, heading over to the bathroom. "I mean, we don't even know how to use powers, much less fight; you saw how the last two encounters with intruders ended," I added as I started putting on light makeup.

          Sam chuckled as she slid off my bed, "I don't know, but we'll train you both when Aili is better until then. I'm going to keep a watch on her and have you stay here," she explained, and I groaned.

          "What if I want to visit her," I pouted, "and who would be protecting me?"

          "The secret service," Sam answered nonchalantly

          "What," I exclaimed as I almost dropped my hairbrush

          "Cliff wants to place some secret service members with you whenever I'm not able to protect the both of you," she explained. "They will drive you to the hospital in case you want to visit Aili before she comes back."

          "I take it this is one of the things that Cliff is coming to talk about," I asked once I finished brushing my teeth.

          Sam nodded, "Yes, that and the mention of a government job," she began, "something about being able to work from your laptop."

          I shrugged, "Guess I'll find out when he gets here," I said as I headed downstairs.

          "That we will," she said with a hint of happiness in her voice as she followed me down. "You can tell Cliff about what we just talked about with your powers because there may be some days that you will be absent from that job with your training," she added once we reached the floor.