Chapter 55. Old Enemies and New Allies ☾

Start from the beginning

Once they were all ready for bed, Neville motioned for Harry and Draco to head over to Harry's bed. They complied and began to close the drapes. Before that happened, Neville stopped them.

"You, too, Dragon," Neville commanded. Dragon whined and huffed, but got up from his spot near the fire and padded up to the bed. He jumped up and laid down next to Harry. "Can one of you put up a silencing charm?" Draco complied.

"So, Neville, what do you want to talk to us about?" Harry asked.

Neville took a deep breath in.

"I know."

Draco and Harry stared at him. Then, they shared a look.

"I should hope you know a lot of things, Longbottom." Draco said, nodding his head slightly. Neville shook his head.

"No, I know about you." Neville clarified.

Draco and Harry repeated their previous actions.

"You've known us for some time, Neville," Harry replied.

Draco nodded in agreement.

"Five years, in fact. We share a room. I've helped you find your toad. This isn't new information." Draco added, ticking off points with his fingers. Neville rolled his eyes.

"Fine, Black! You can come out now!" Neville sang. Dragon whined and stared at Harry.

"Black? What are you talking about?" Harry asked, slightly nervous. Neville rolled his eyes again.

"I'm talking about the fact that Sirius Black has been your pet dog for the past two years."

Draco cringed and turned to Harry.

"He's got you there."

Harry frowned. He nodded to Dragon, who changed into Sirius.

"HOW!? How did you know!? I was so careful," Sirius shrieked. Neville smiled.

"Not when you're yelling at portraits after curfew."

Sirius smirked.

"You'll have to be more specific. I spent the entire summer yelling at a portrait, but I highly doubt you were there. I think I would have seen you."

Neville sighed.

"Last year, right before Halloween. You came back late, and yelled at the Fat Lady. Something about only having to be a dog to get in?"

Sirius' eyes lightened in understanding. "Oh, right! The night I talked to Severus!"

Harry facepalmed. "So, you know our secret. We're hiding Sirius Black from the law. He's innocent, so you know."

Neville shrugged.

"I figured as much. He hasn't killed any of us in our sleep yet and he's had over two years to do so, so I think he's pretty safe."

Sirius stared at Neville.

"Yet? Yet? I haven't killed anyone yet? That's the best you can say?"