Chapter 1

Amara

The setting is a Tuesday afternoon, 4pm South London time. I've never been more excited to arrive anywhere, ever. As the CEO of a major company at 26, I haven't had much time to travel nonetheless move halfway across the world. The airport is bustling with people all rushing to wherever it is they need to go. I weave through the masses - usually crowds and frantic high energy like this would send my anxiety out of the stratosphere but my excitement seems to be feeding off of it. I've been wearing the most ridiculous smile on my face since I landed. I find my luggage and flag down a taxi to head to my hotel. My friends don't really understand what's so great about this place or why I chose to move here instead of someplace tropical, like Tulum or Cancun. It's not even like it's all that glamorous, but there's just something about it. My fascination with it started last year from a YouTube suggestion for a South London soccer player's video.

It was an instant drug: I loved it all, the carefree attitudes everyone seemed to have, their senses of humor, how everything always felt super chill and low key but they all still knew how to have a good time. It was fairly normal, but in the best way and I just knew I needed to be apart of it. My cab slows to a stop and I pay before exiting to settle into my hotel, my new home base until I find a more permanent place. My decision to come all the way out here was rather spontaneous, surprisingly enough. I just felt like I needed a change, and since I was finally able to get the company to a place where I could work remotely it was time to make it happen. 

Ruel

"Ruel! What you doing mate, you need to put all your stuff in the room and get settled in!" Cue infinite eye roll. "Yes Nate, I heard you the first 3 times. Back off me yeah?" Nate huffed but quickly acquiesced with a nod. My manager's been on my ass for the last week about the last leg of the tour we just finished. About forgetting lyrics, not being serious enough on set for shoots, etc. Not sure what's gotten into him honestly, I've always been this way. I mean, we literally did a whole festival, Laneway, not long ago and everything went great. He finally agreed to let me move back home so we are in London looking for more permanent arrangements. What with my busy schedule traveling for tour or writing music, I figured what does it matter where I'm based out of. I can still visit family and friends back in Australia as much as before, or facetime with everyone whenever. I returned my attention to the interesting creature I'd been observing for the last couple minutes. It was the strangest thing, this girl barrels through the hotel lobby doors, with way too much luggage that could literally equal 4 of her. There was no one with her, but she had this megawatt smile like hotel check-ins were the equivalent of going to Harry Potter world for the first time. She was stunning, her eye color reminded me of sunlight streaming through a river. Ugh why do you even care about this random girl's eyes, snap out of it. Next thing I know she interrupts my internal dialogue spewing a series of heated curses "Freakin bollocking tit wanker!" -- Whoa. She's got a mouth on her. Weird, she's using British slang... but she's American? Interesting, but I kind of liked it. I chuckle to myself and then internally groan at this effect she's having on me. "Um", she says in a harsh tone looking the other direction, "Are you going to help or just stand there laughing at me?" Wasn't she just smiling? Honestly how does a person change like that so quickly - gave me whiplash. Then I realize that was directed at me. Get it together Ruel. "Uh..." I said rubbing my neck, "Yeah. Sorry." I move to help grab some of her bags.