Ch.27 Puzzle Pieces

Start from the beginning

I don't know, she wrote. There were so many people in the apartment. I don't' know who I was there for.

Killian read the words over Kiara's shoulder. He passed the paper along to Tobias and then to Posey.

"Hayden is putting up some boundary spells," Tobias said.

Why? Kiara wrote. I'm not going to run off. Lila is here.

As Tobias read the words his heart contracted. Even though he couldn't hear her speak the words, he could feel the hurt behind them.

"It's just to make sure the other Kiara doesn't come out and leave," Posey said slowly. "We want you to have time with Lila here. We don't want you to get overwhelmed with teleporting."

Kiara didn't write anything else. She closed the pen and gently put it down. Posey looked up at Killian as the boy gave her a small nod to keep hope.

"I'll go speak with the fates," he announced. "See if we can get the name."

"That's a good id-" Tobias was interrupted as the door to the hospital room slid open and Dr. Banks walked in.

Everyone paused and looked in his direction as the Doctor arched a brow and checked his clipboard.

"You're not Mr. Compton," the doctor laughed.

Kiara slowly leaned around Killian to stare at the doctor. Her large brown eyes fell on the man as he flashed his charming handsome smile and apologized.

"I must have the wrong name," Dr. Banks placed his hand over his heart. "My fault. Sorry for the trouble."

"It's alright," Tobias said.

Kiara watched as Dr. Banks backed out of the room and closed the door. She reached for the pen and was about to tell Killian she had seen that man in the apartment when the door to the room opened again.

"Killian?" The nurse looked around.

"Yes?" Killian looked up.

"There's a visitor for you in the lobby," the nurse handed him a small note.

Killian slowly unfolded the paper and read the name. As Kiara watched, his eyes darkened and his jaw clenched. He looked up at Tobias as his hands began to ball into fists.

"What is it?" Posey asked.

"Azazel," Killian said.

"She's here?" Posey's eyes grew angry. "On palace grounds?"

"She wants to meet Lila."

Kiara felt her heart quiver before turning to the size of a pea. She grabbed Killian's hand and shook her head.

"I won't let her near Lila," Killian looked down at her and touched the edge of her face. The way Kiara's eyes watered made Killian want to pull her into his arms and hide her from the world.

"Killian, I know she's your mother," Posey said as she lifted Lila out of the crib. "But if so much as her shadow touched Lila, I will make her rot in hell."

"I'm right behind you," Killian said.

Posey walked over to Kiara and handed the baby to her. Killian waited as Kiara hugged their daughter to her chest and kissed the little curls on Lila's head tenderly before leaning down and kissing the baby himself.

"I'll be right back," he said, lifting his gaze to Kiara. "This ends here. She won't ever come back."

Killian pulled back and turned for the door. Tobias gave a nod to his wife before following the boy out of the room. Kiara's heart began to hammer in her chest wildly as she held Lila tightly to her chest. She could feel her little heartbeat against her as her eyes stayed on the door.