you're a ballerina dancing with a ghost in an abandoned theater

tw: eating disorders

She dances. Effortlessly. Beautifully. As if she's all alone in this empty theatre. As if there's no one watching her. But there is.

You walk gently towards her, careful not to make a sound even though of course you can't. Ghosts don't make any noise. But even so her dance slightly falters, as if she can feel something is wrong. Something is unnatural.

But she continues. Eyes closed, lips upturned as she twirls one last time. The music in both in your minds falling to a quiet finish. Before the last note plays, you outstretch an arm towards her, reaching for her arm.

And then the song ends. And she opens her eyes. Both of you staring at each other except she's not. Not really. For she can't see you.

You curse. How you hoped this time she might be able to see. How you hoped this time she would finally feel you, understand you. But she just giggles silently to herself, a relieved smile on her face.

And then the next song plays. Not really, not aloud. But you know what she's hearing in her head right now. The exact song, the exact notes. And so as she starts to dance you mimic her moves. 

As she jumps you hold on to her waist, so gently yet you feel her bones harshly jutting out. As she finishes the last pirouette you try to stop her but she doesn't pay any mind. She brushes through you, continuing. Brows tensed, expression concentrated. You try to pull her but she pushes you away, you hold her, her heart beating so fast. Much faster than it should.

She's sweating now, her tiny frail body as light as air. Lighter than the air she has in her lungs. 

 She can't breathe. She stops abruptly, leaning down and gasping for breath. But she's done it again. Overstretched herself. Reaching for perfection. But she'll be fine won't she? She always is. 

She'll be okay. It's just a blip. Except one day it won't be. You should know. 

As you look at yourself you try to give you one last chance. Because it's too early for you to die. You have so many hopes, so many dreams. So much love left to give. So much life left to give. 

And as you hold her in your arms it's as if she's finally allowed herself to see. Gasping she outstretches an arm to your face, recognizing it's her. She doesn't seem so horrified by such a fate, but understands how much it hurts you.

So gently she closes her eyes and nods.And then as the music starts playing. This time for real and not inside any of your heads. And people start joining the theatre, large bustling crowds excited to see the star of the show. The curtains closed, ready to open to display her, she still closes her eyes.

And as the curtains start to open, and you retreat away into the shadows. She stands up, looking at all their eager faces, cameras out, mouths smiling.

And then simply she bows.Before walking off the stage, leaving the theatre. Leaving them all in shock. Leaving alive.

And so you smile gently as she leaves. She doesn't even spare you a backwards glance. That's just like you. But you know she's grateful.

And then you start to disappear, for if she didn't die, you never existed.

And you know she's safe now. You smile a little as everything starts to vanish. A ballerina, dancing with herself. 

i wanted to do something a little different to romance when i saw this prompt. so instead of a suitor or someone to fall in love with i thought of this. Ballerinas become vulnerable to self-consciousness about their bodies, and they face increased risk of anorexia, bulimia nervosa and other eating disorders. And I couldn't help thinking of that when writing the prompt. It's not just an issue for some ballerinas, but also for models, actors/actresses, us. People in the limelight and people watching those in the limelight. So many of us struggle with how we look, and sometimes food can become the enemy. 

This happens. And if we want it to stop we have to become aware. 

The story isn't just about eating disorders, it's also about the struggle for perfection that we all face. It's a story of how we can save ourselves. And how it's always important to put ourselves first and get help when we realise it's needed. 

hope u enjoyed and so much love for u all <3