Chapter 3

- Alina's POV -

Nina and Matthias easily weave through the sketchy street vendors and the masked customers purchasing items from them. Holding hands, Nina glances back at me to double-check that I'm still there. I think she's in disbelief. If I'm being honest, I think I am, too.

I can't believe she's alive. I was told that she was captured by Fjerdans while on a mission with Zoya and that the ship had been overtaken by the storm.

But somehow, she miraculously survived. And saved a Fjerdan while she was at it.

How a Grisha and a Fjerdan fell in love, I'll never know.

But they are certainly in love. Whenever Nina glances away, Matthias's eyes linger on her face until she looks back at him and blushes. Oh, to have a love like theirs.

We turn the corner, and I gape as I look at the marvelous club before me.

The Crows Club

Instantly, Nina's back straightens and she grabs my arm, pulling me close beside her.

"We're going to meet Kaz first, so he can vouch for you to Per Haskell." She whispers to me, narrowing her eyes at a man whose eyes are focused someone south of my face.

"Vouch?" I whisper back, squeezing in closer to you as the man grumbles and turns away.

"Well, if you're going to join the Dregs you'll have to get in front of Per Haskell. And no one gets in front of the old man without Kaz's permission." Nina grinned at the bouncer in front of the club entrance. He winked at her, and Matthias let out a growl that sounded similarly to a wolves.

My eyes widened as we entered the club. For one thing, it was so crowded that I couldn't even see the floor. For another thing, everyone was so scandalous that I easily started blushing from head to toe.

"Nina, I can't possibly join the Dregs. I just want a quick job so I could make enough money for safe passage to Novyi Zem or the Wandering Isles!" I hiss in her ear as Matthias veers off to go talk to someone standing in the shadowy corner to the left. Their crow cane glints in the harsh florescents, but other than that they remain invisible.

Nina stops and turns back to look at me, her green eyes suddenly looking very watery.

"You're leaving already?" Her voice is barely above a whisper, but it hits me with the weight of a thousand elephants.

"I--I have to. It's the only place I'll ever be safe." I whisper, grasping her hand as she tries to let go. She sighs and looks to the person talking with Matthias in the corner.

"Just---just give them a chance. You could lie low in Ketterdam. Many people have seemingly vanished without a trace under different aliases in these streets. Please, just give it a chance. Who knows--you may like a life of crime." Her words are full of sincerity, with a hint of desperation, so I have to nod.

"Alright. I'll give it a chance. But if this doesn't work out, then I'll just get a quick factory job and go on my way." Nina nods and shakes my hand.

"Deal."

She leads me to the corner where I can barely hear Matthias talk quickly to the person in the corner.

"Come on, demjin, give her a chance. Isla is Nina's friend. She needs this. She needs something to believe in. Just give her a minute of your time." Matthias's rough voice is laced with worry as Nina comes to stand beside him and he instantly shuts up.

"Fine." So, the person standing in the corner is a man. His gruff voice echoes through the club, a few people turning their heads to look at him.

He walks into the light and my eyes widen at the sight of him. He is the definition of intimidation. His black suit is pressed to perfection, his black hair meticulously combed. He pulls down the black leather gloves covering his hands and grips tighter onto his glistening cane.

"Thank you, Kaz."

So, this was Kaz Brekker. Dirtyhands. The bastard of the Barrel. I should feel flattered. Instead, I feel a deep sense of dread. Even in Ravka, we've heard of him. How he's supposedly behind the Ice Court heist, his feud with Pekka Rollins, and his notorious gloved hands.

"Well, Ms. Isla, it appears you've got yourself an interview."