Crested Gecko Care Sheet

Crested geckos are gentle, easy to care for reptiles. They are perfect for beginners as they are easy to feed and do not require a lot of attention.

3 Fun Facts about Crested Geckos

-They love to eat their shed

-They live up to 20 years if cared for properly

-They may lose their tail, and will not grow it back. So be sure to handle it gently!

Food

Crested geckos eat a special crested gecko food that you can get at your local pet store, or online. The best-known brands are Pangea, Repashy, and Zoo Med. See for details. They can eat this food dry or mixed with water. Crested geckos tend to prefer fruity diets but variety is key. Make sure the one you are buying has a "complete diet" on the packaging.

If you want your crested geckos to grow big and strong, you might want to consider feeding them a cricket every week or so. Only feed crickets that are no bigger than the size of your gecko's head. Consider dusting the crickets in calcium powder (from your local pet store), for added nutrition.

Mist the tank with tap water (within Canada, Distilled water outside of Canada) twice a day. A light misting in the morning and heavy misting at night. They are nocturnal and most likely to drink at night.

Environment

A hatchling Crested Gecko requires only a small terrarium like a 5 gallon at max, while an adult will require a 20-gallon terrarium.

Crested geckos do not require a heat lamp. They only need to be kept in a room between 72F-75F

In the terrarium, there should be a cave/hide, fake leaves or a real plant or other foliage to climb on, and a medium-size rough rock to help them shed

For the bottom of the terrarium, you need some sort of substrate. For babies, a paper towel is fine, especially if you want to monitor their poop. For adults, you will want to use a moss or bark substrate meant for Geckos.

Here is a link, if you are interested in making a bioactive terrarium:

Never house 2 adult males together! They will likely fight. Babies can live together, 2 females can live together, and most of the time, a male and female can live together (unless the female becomes annoyed with the male's attention)

Before getting a crested gecko, remember to have everything prepared for his or her arrival!