Chapter 3: City of the Past

Start bij het begin

“My real name is Raymond. I never met my father, but my mother told me about him as I grew up.”

Kari’s mother asked, “Your mother, is her name Samantha?”

“Yes it is,” said Raymond, “Tell me, how do you know my parents.”

“Mama, Papa,” Kari said, “You should tell Raymond how you met his parents.”

“Well to start off, my name is Sierra. This is my husband Lloyd,” Kari’s mother said, “The reason we’re married is because of your parents.”

Lloyd continued, “I met your father as a kid, and together we enrolled in the military.”

Sierra stated, “I met your mother when we were kids. Then we met Leon and Lloyd at a party they were holding for Samantha. There I and Lloyd fell in love.”

Raymond was puzzled, “So my parents knew each other before my father went into the army?”

Sierra nodded in reply, “Yes they met around the age you are now.”

“The party was held the day before we had to go overseas,” said Lloyd. “So Samantha and Leon went into another room and well you don’t need to worry about the rest.”

“So my father left the day after my mom’s birthday?” Raymond asked.

Sierra claimed, “Yes that’s true, and that was the same time Samantha was going to have you.”

“Aunty Sierra, who’s the boy?” asked a new voice. Raymond turned to find a girl his age that looked a little like him. “Did you bring another one off the street Kari? Do you ever listen to my anti-boy advice?”

“Do you always have to be mean to every guy I bring home?” Kari asked.

“Umm, is there a problem with me being here?” Raymond asked.

“Yeah Kari, why don’t you tell Raymond here all about your bad dates?”

Raymond was a little concerned. “Why are you picking on Kari so much?”

The mystery girl said, “Because she’s like the sister I always wanted. Plus I don’t want any boy taking her away, you got that stranger.”

Raymond turned and headed for the door, supplies in hand. “I guess I’ll…”

“Wait!” Kari shouted, “I’m sorry about my friend, but she is always trying to keep anyone I date away.”

Back to Kari, Raymond said, “I’m not leaving; I was going to ask where I can stay.”

“There should be an extra room next to Kari’s. You can stay there,” Sierra explained.

“Thank you ma’am,” Raymond said.

Pulling him along, Kari said, “Come on, I’ll give you a tour as well as show you your room.

“Do we have to have this boy here?” Kari’s friend asked.

“He is the son of our friends and your twin brother. They told us to take care of him if he ever comes,” Lloyd said. “Don’t worry about it, Kira.”

“Fine. I’m still going to make sure Kari stays safe,” Kira argued, “Brother or no brother.”---

The next morning, Raymond got out of bed with a feeling on insecurity. ‘Hopefully Kari’s friend won’t kill me while I’m here. But why does she look so familiar?’ Raymond thought as he headed towards the living room.

“Good morning Raymond,” Sierra called from the kitchen.

“Oh! Good morning ma’am,” Raymond called as he walked towards the kitchen.