Chapter 3: City of the Past

Quick note about chapter: In it there are some qustions asked to Raymond. Again I wrote this in the 7th grade, so there was no research done for this story. So if you notice any stray facts, let me know.

After a week, Raymond found a town that looked like a city. All the buildings were tall. Occasionally there would be a house in between. ‘This place could hold some clues,’ Raymond thought as he pulled his cloak farther over his face.

Just as he suspected, the entire town was filled hustle and bustle. People were always going in and out of all the buildings. No one even looked at Raymond when he was walking through the crowd. ‘I think now would be a good time to head for the leader of this town,’ Raymond thought as he walked toward the city hall of the town.

“Excuse me,” said a timid voice from behind him. Raymond turned to find a girl his age or younger holding a package with both hands. “Are you planning on going to City Hall?”

Raymond was intrigued. “Actually, yes I am.”

“Then I suggest you turn around. They don’t let children in there. When they do, the children disappear. The same thing happened to a close friend of mine.”

“I’m sorry to hear that. Listen, I’ll take you home and you can tell me all about your friend,” said Raymond with great kindness in his voice.

The girl grinned, “I’d like that. Maybe you can stay over for a while. I’m sure you don’t live here considering what you’re wearing.”

“I guess you’re right. Now let me take you home before your parents get angry.”---

The moon was rising when Raymond and the girl came to a self-made house only a mile from the city.

“My name is Kari. I didn’t quite catch yours,” said the girl.

“Right, my name is Ra…Raven,” Raymond said, as they made their way up the porch steps.

“Well Raven, my family is nice so don’t worry at all, even if it is only my mom and dad.”

“Thank you Kari, for taking in a complete stranger.”

Kairi smiled and opened the door. “Mama! I’m home,” she called, as they entered the house.

“This is where you live?” Raymond asked, “It’s beautiful.”

“Do you like it?” The new voice surprised Raymond. It was kind and somewhat quiet.

“Hi mama.” Kari ran to a woman who looked like a princess. Her clothes were normal though.

“Kari, who’s the boy?” This voice sounded like a kings, tough but at the same time kind. Quickly, Raymond turned towards the source of the voice, hand on sword. “Easy boy, I don’t mean to cause you any harm, okay?”

Raymond nodded in reply.

“Raven, these are my mama and papa. Mama, Papa this is my new friend Raven. I met him in front of City Hall.”

“Nice to meet you both. Kari has told me so much since I met her. You couldn’t have raised a better daughter.”

“We’re glad you think she’s nice,” Kari’s mom said.

“Mama, doesn’t he look like Uncle Leon.”

Raymond was a little disturbed by the name Kari said. “Did you say Leon?”

“Yes,” Kari replied, “He was friends with Papa in the war over 15 years ago.”

Kari’s father was the one to ask, “How do you know that name?”