"Bridgerton." Simon nodded to agree and faced the lady. "Miss Bridgerton."

Anthony brought Daphne away from the cocky man but she was so intrigued at him and at the same time, annoyed and unimpressed. She even looked back at the cocky man like she was saying that he was not the only man who deserves the attention of the night. He gave her a confident smile before they broke the gaze.

Ah. Those wonderful memories ran inside Simon's head.

However, that was three years ago. Simon and Daphne met three years ago.

For the past two years, Simon travelled across the world just like what he dreamed ever since he was a child. He wants to study the cultures of the world, away from his hometown where the nightmares of his childhood is haunting him.

His mother died after giving birth to him and Simon knows the story how his father treated his mother just because she can't bear a child. And when Simon emerged into the world, a wish came true just to continue the family line, his father was so delighted not until he discovered Simon's stuttering.

He was sent away and grew up without a father on his side because he abandoned him. He was seen as a disgrace to the family, an imbecile, and his father told him not to show up again. Simon barely got the support financially but not the recognition of being Simon Basset, the Hastings heir.

Now, after two years of being a ghost in the vast of London, he came back once again. The reason? He doesn't know why. He just woke up one morning and decided to visit the old town.

His return didn't cause any scene and his auntie, Agatha Danbury, managed to keep his return a secret. The lady was the one who raised Simon when his father rejected him. She was a long time friend of his mother and became his mother figure.

Simon showed up to his bestfriend's house and as a welcoming gesture, they are now partying in a famous club in town. The blinding lights are all over the place and the loud, upbeat music is giving energy to every soul in the dark room. Overflowing drinks are being served as the old friends keep on giving a surprise reaction when they got a glimpse of the prodigal son.

Then, a beautiful lady and her friends arrived to hang out in the famous spot too. They are already dancing with the lively groove, the crowded place is not a bother. The huge smile on her face is so familiar to him. It is still giving the same brightness in the room as her expressive eyes are oozing a certain emotion that only a happy person can show.

Daphne Bridgerton.

The most beautiful woman in the ton.

The diamond of the first water.

Simon could tell that she looked so happy. The kind of smile that he never saw from her when they were together. The peak of happiness is showering her presence when he is not with her.

Why did he run away in the past?

The crowded room is becoming smaller and smaller when their eyes met. The world lost its gravity and stopped from spinning on its axis. Suddenly, the only presence that matter are Simon's and Daphne's. 

Not the dancing and loud ton.

Simon and Daphne.

Slowly, her smile is fading away until a precious tear fell from her eyes. The pain and heartbreak she felt two years ago are trying to emerge but she knows better than to drown herself with negative energy once again.

She was done with that.

At that very moment, she could have tell him how her heart breaks two years ago. She could have tell him how she fell apart when he ran away.