Chapter 22

“What do you want to do tonight?” Dean murmured happily into the phone and I smiled.

“I can’t believe it’s the first time I get to see you since we agreed to date last week.” Dean chuckled low and my body responded almost instantly.

“Whose fault is that?” He teased.

“Yours, all yours.” I joked and he laughed in response. I sighed happily into the phone, “this is the first time I’ve smiled because of something besides Tommy all week.”

Dean grunted, “I’m sorry babe. I shouldn’t let that happen.”

“It isn’t your fault. You’re the only one who makes me smile.” I replied honestly.

“It shouldn’t be like that Tori.” He answered harshly.

“This is the part where you sound flattered by my comment,” I snapped, my good mood slipping away quickly.

“I am babe, it’s just sad that I’m the only person in your life right now; besides Tommy, that makes you happy.”

“Well I’m sorry my life is too pathetic for you, but it has been a difficult two months.” I grumbled and Dean grunted.

“I didn’t mean it like that. Dammit Tori, I’m just trying to say that I feel sorry for you!” He shouted and I huffed.

“I don’t need you to feel sorry for me. I don’t need your sympathy or empathy or whatever the hell it’s called. I need you to distract me from the hell my life is.”

“Is that all I am to you?” He questioned. “Just some damn distraction!” Dean sounded furious and I didn’t blame him. I hadn’t realised how hurtful my words were until he reacted.

“I’m sorry, of course I don’t mean that Dean. You’re fantastic and that is the reason I’m with you. When I’m with you I forget about everything else and I get to just focus on being happy. I love that Dean.”

“You do?” He whispered.

“Yes I do. You make me happy and with everything that’s happened to me recently, that alone is something magnificent. Don’t belittle it.”

“I would never do that. I’m thrilled that you find happiness with me, I really am. You make me so incredibly happy Tori. I still can’t believe you chose me. I was so sure it was Kevin you wanted.”

He is, I thought. “No, you’re the one I want Dean.” I lied without even flinching as the words drifted off my tongue. I was a horrible person.

“I want to kiss you.” His voice turned husky and I forgot about my dishonesty. “I need to see you soon Tori.”

I giggled, “what are you waiting for then? If you’re looking for a formal invitation then it’s going to be a long night.”

“I’m on my way.” He rushed and ended the call. I beamed at the phone and waited patiently for Dean. Not long after our phone call ended, did Dean arrive. My parents were out and it was just me and Tommy and now Dean alone at home. I wasn’t sure if that was a recipe for a disaster or a wonderful night.  I was in the process of opening the door for Dean when a notification sounded from my phone. I looked at my phone and noticed three missed calls and five text messages from Kevin. I skimmed through the messages.
They were all the same.

I’m sorry about the ambush. Please let me see you so I can explain. We need to talk about our kiss.

I ignored his messages and put my phone away. Dean walked into the house and as his eyes caught mine, his steps increased and suddenly he was right in front of me and his arms had snaked around my waist. He held me to him and lifted me off the ground so that our lips were in line with one another. I wrapped my arms around his neck and mirrored his grin.