Too late?

Halt stood, scanning the harbour for Joseph. He was sure he had seen him, running along, trying to catch him.
"Sur? Letter fur you. Frum that li'le bouy darn there."
Halt turned to see O'Mare holding out an envelope. Halt took it, and using his saxe knife, slit it open. It read:

Halt,
If it's my fault you're leaving, I'm sorry, I'm really confused, and I have no clue what's going on. If it's their fault, they assure me that they were worried about you, and that's all. They didn't realise. Please don't leave, the Corps needs its greatest ranger. (That's you.)
Joseph.

Halt stared at the letter, and then reached inside the envelope. He pulled out his silver oakleaf. His heart nearly broke as he saw it. He called out to the captain, but he wasn't heard. The ship started moving, and Halt was still on board.

Joseph was running, trying to catch the ship as it moved. He could see Halt at the rail, scanning to find Joseph. He kept running. Halt couldn't just dive off, Abelard was on board. Things looked bad. Gillian ran up.
"Where is he?"
"On board. I was too late."
Horace's face grew grim. He was angry.
"Get to the entrance to the harbour, where they have the gate movers, and tell them to not let that ship out in the name of the King." He slipped off his signet ring. "Show them this."
Joseph grabbed it and was gone. They watched him go. Everything depended on that boy now. He couldn't let them down.