𝘪𝘯𝘷𝘢𝘴𝘪𝘷𝘦

After an uneventful but peaceful day of reading I folded the page corner and lifted myself off the window seat. The sky had darkened, reflecting onto the murky lake waters. I clutched the book to my side and trailed out of the library, nodding goodbye to the few students who remained. Folding my arms over each other to preserve warmth, I rushed towards the great hall, eager to have dinner.

     "Y/n!" Harry called me over.

   I smiled at him and took a seat with him, Hermione, Dream and Ron. Usual Gryffindor crew. Starving, I immediately began scooping the pasta onto my plate from the floating tray.

     "What have you been up to all day, without classes?" Ron asked, mouth still full of his own dinner.

     "Reading mostly, the library is so peaceful when nobody is cramming."

     "The new auror watched over our defense against the dark arts class for some reason." Ron added.

     "Probably getting an idea of what the students are capable of." Hermione suggested.

     "He stopped in on the library too, a bit chattier than I expected." I said, shoving the pasta in my mouth.

     "Oh really? I don't think I've even heard him speak yet." Hermione admitted.

     "Weird." I replied, finding myself cherishing the idea that I was the exception.

     "He's very pretty." Dream said, his eyes on the pink haired man sitting next to Dumbledore.

   I silently nodded, trying not to draw attention as my eyes fell where Dream's did. He was very pretty, even after a day of work. His eyes, which had been on Dumbledore, momentarily seemed to meet mine. I quickly looked back, cursing how stupid I must look.

     "DEMENTORS!" Colin Creevey suddenly howled, rushing into the hall.

   A moment of fear-struck silence passed before everyone erupted, attempting to get out as quickly as possible. I took off after my table who were desperately attempting to file through the small door behind the teachers table. I could see them now, the Dementors no doubt- slowly creeping into the large room. Turning back my odds of getting through that door felt slim.

    "Here." Wilber offered, gesturing to a familiar aged stone door. Glancing back at the crowded exit I swallowed by pride and guessed he was my best bet. 

     "Hey is this a good ide-"

   Almost like at Kings Cross, the wall made way, spatting us out into an old passageway.

     "Lumos." Wilbur muttered, expelling a pale light from his wand.

   Now illuminated, I looked down at the passage floor. It seemed slightly flooded, and was that... bones?

    "You coming or do I have to carry you?" Wilbur said, now a few paces in front of me.

    "No, no. I'm capable." I replied, holding my breath as I felt my shoes dampen.

   He gestured for me to follow closely as we trekked through the narrow passage. After what felt like practically a mile, we came to a wooden trap door, aged from the humidity.

     "Ladies first." Wilbur chuckled, pointing to the small ladder and hatch.

    I gave a sarcastic glare and shimmied out of the passage, arriving in a small room. A fire was dying out in the fireplace and empty tea cups sat on almost all of the furniture.

     "Hagrid's place." Wilbur said through a sigh as he closed the trap door behind him.

     "Ah, so this is where my friends are half the time." I replied.

   He snickered, "I doubt he'll mind us here, simply avoiding a Dementor, you know how it is."

   I appreciated his casual tone, despite Hogwarts now constantly being under siege. The tone wasn't something I had expected after our time at the castle but it felt as though his real intentions were coming through.

   As I went to take a seat on the wooden bench behind me a light came through the window.

     "Shit." The two of us said in unison.

    "Here, here, here." Wilbur whispered, pulling me into the only other room.

   It was practically empty, no doubt compensating for the abnormally large wooden bed in the center. We were at a dead end now, nothing else to do besides hide and prepare for a fight.

   I ducked down and examined the underneath of the bed. Tucking aside a few boxes I clambered underneath, holding my wand to my chest. Wilbur, out of options, rolled under as well.

   The hut door knob fidgeted before whomever was attempting to break in took to force and began pounding at the door.

     "I don't want to die under a bed." I murmured to myself, staring up at the fragile support beams.

    "Well, we'll both die under a bed." Wilbur replied.

    "How is that helpful!"

   Despite the pounding getting louder, we both held hands to our mouths, trying not to laugh.

   The door finally gave way. Wilburs dark eyes widened as we both acknowledged it. Instinctively I grabbed his arm, squeezing it unreasonably hard, yet he didn't budge. Footsteps slowly moved through the hut, circling the entrance room before arriving the threshold. I held my breath as the door opened.

    "Fang?" A familiar voice suddenly called out, revealing Hagrid as he dropped to the floor and looked under the bed.

   I shrieked, causing him to go into a laughing fit.

     "Jesus, Hagrid." Wilbur muttered, an underlying annoyance in his voice. He pulled himself out from the bed and went around to help get me out.

    I released Wilburs hand, mine still stiff from the pressure I had applied. Letting myself get covered in dust as I rolled out from under the bed, Hagrid grinned.

     "Tea!" He asked, offering me a hand to get up, which I accepted.

    "Tea, yes." Wilbur replied, excusing himself from the room.

   Hagrid's cheery tone had saved me from the terrified thoughts desperate to take center stage in my head. I accepted the mint tea graciously and curled up in a ragged armchair, watching the last sparks of the fire fade out. 

   After a moment of peace, yet another bang came from the door. The three of us exchanged concerned glances before Hagrid approached the door. He hesitantly twisted the knob, finally opening the door and exposing the visitor to us. Harry stood at the door, hand on the shoulder of a weeping Dream.

     "Boys come in please, please." Hagrid said, gesturing to the room.

     "Dream my god, what's wrong?" I asked, standing up to comfort him.

    "He's dead." Dream said in between sobs.

    "Who?" Hagrid asked, guiding him to another seat.

    "George."

authors note:

   I've decided george's death was inescapable oops. saluting him for moving the story forward though !