✔XXXI - The Human Princess is not what We Think of Her

Start from the beginning

***

Footsteps echoed through the dark corridors of the old Dragon Castle as Zenith's feet padded against the cold tarmac. Her dark gown flapped against her legs as she hurried to the farthest chamber of the corridor.

The encounter with Demian left Zenith furious as she grinded her teeth and her palms stayed beside her in fists. No matter how much she tried to break him, he was cold as ice and as if the curse had forged his heart with stone.

She breathed heavily as the old castle was a bit far from their main castle and it was almost in ruins. However, it stood with pride even after having tolerated the torment of the weather and past battles. The cobwebs and dust had decorated it with their finest work and Zenith sneezed as she came across the dusty door that stayed further in a corner.

She opened it and found a guard standing near the door. He was donned in deep green with black armour that said he wasn't from the dragon's guard. He was from Vortsmog, her homeland. As soon as the man's eyes fell on her, he held his head low and there was another person in a fine vest, her brother, Casian Vermence.

He stood with a small smile tugging on his lips. However, he was watching the sunset beholding in the sky near the mountains. It was a beautiful crimson color along with a golden hue. A magnificent view indeed, however, Zenith wasn't very fond of sight seeing especially at this moment.

"Why couldn't your men do one simple task they are given?" She almost shouted in frustration which got her brother's attention.

He shrugged, "He's lucky."

"He is a cursed Prince!" She hissed, annoyed at her brother's indifferent behaviour.

"Still, a lucky cursed prince."

Zenith shook in her place, unable to contain her anger anymore. She clenched her palms against her gown so hard that her knuckles turned white. Every time! Every time, she planned something and it would go down. The long awaited moment she had waited for good news was crushed into pieces.

Zenith knew she had no time at all since Demian's transformation would begin in just a few weeks.

"Why?" She asked as a shiver ran down on her spine remembering how terrifying the curse was. She asked again to Casian, "How could they fail to kill a damn child?"

"Well, I see, he has some excellent guards out there. Apparently, Master Valentine is the person responsible for the young Prince's protection." He said.

As soon as Master Valentine's name left from his mouth, Zenith felt like punching her brother. Master Valentine! He was the wall that she wanted to demolish at all costs. He stood before everything that she wanted to destroy and Zenith had no power over him.

Demian's words came to her mind when he belittled her saying he was still superior to her. That time she felt needles poking on her skin.

"And those men managed to kill the best men you sent?" She asked and gave a mocking scoff, "I thought you had the best men in the whole southern Dragon territory."

Casian's smile fell as his eyes sharpened but Zenith could get it wasn't because she accused him of being a failure. In normal circumstances, he would take it as a trivial matter but his face bore a serious expression.

"What is it?" Zenith asked, taking her heart in her mouth but Casian didn't answer.

She looked at the guard and ordered, "Present the whole report."

He bowed and started, "Your Highness, our men were killed before they reached the destined place."

"What?!"