Ch.24 Just a drop

Start from the beginning

"Tired? Sleepy?"

"No," Nora shook her head once more with a deep frown on her lips. "But one of the meds you gave me does make me really sleepy. I stopped taking it."

"Why?" Dr. Banks looked at her with a look of disapproval.

"Because it makes me really sleepy," Nora said once more. "I knocked out for like hours."

"Your body is still trying to recover, Nora," Banks shook his head. "You took a really big hit. Normally, you would still be in the hospital but the healing clay did amazing."

Nora nodded slowly, holding her finger in her hand, "I know....it's just....I don't like sleeping that much."

"Don't try to rush your recovery," Banks said.

"Okay."

"And you have another check in with me next week, you remember right?"

"Yes," Nora sighed. "Very two weeks. How can I forget?"

"I'll tell Lidia to remind you again."

"Thank you," Nora laughed. "And I'll remind her to remind me."

Banks laughed as he unscrewed the cap on the drink and took a sip. He watched Nora fidget around the kitchen as she pulled out a knife from the drawers and threw it into the sink.

"I better get going," he said after a short pause. "Maybe I'll call Lidia and meet up with her in the city."

"Okay," Nora nodded, looking over her shoulder.

"Thanks for the drink," Banks held up the bottle.

"Anytime," Nora watched the man walk to the door and let himself out.

She waited until she heard the click of the automatic lock before turning back to the knife in the sink. Her blood had gone down the drain, leaving behind no evidence, just like her finger. Nora grabbed the spong and soap and began to scrub the blade as her mind started to spin.

Was she going crazy? There was blood on the blade....

Once the knife was nice and clean, Nora picked up the dish rag and dried the thing. She held it up to inspect it under the kitchen light when a silly, almost childish idea popped into her head.

Lowering the blade ever so slowly, Nora held it over her left hand. She used her other hand to grip the handle firmly as she slowly pressed the sharp edge to the side of her palm. Her heart began to pound in her chest as if telling her she was acting like a lunatic. But Nora always knew her curiosity would be the end of her one day.

Mentally locating the first aid box in the apartment, Nora took in a deep breath and slid the blade against her palm. A sharp pain shot through her as the blade separated her skin. She hissed and dropped the knife as the angry cut grew red and then started to push out blood.

Nora was about to regret her stupidity when suddenly a light blue shimmer appeared under her skin. Her heart froze as she watched her skin patch itself back up as if nothing had happened. The cut healed and not a single mark was left behind. Just the blood that had escaped.

"Holy shit!" Nora gasped.

_____________________

Hayden tried to focus on his book as he sat on one of the stools at the kitchen counter. Every time Birdie made even the slightest sound, he clicked his tongue and glared up at her. At first, the girl tried to be as quiet as she could possibly be. But that was until she realized her brother had his own room and her parents had a mini library.