75. no kings or queens

Start from the beginning

His eyes flickered downward, as if he couldn't face me. I could tell that Jordan felt sorry for Russell. "Yeah."

I nodded, keeping my gaze on him in order to force him to finally look at me. "Jord, you know what he did."

Finally, he looked up at me. "I do." he asserted. "But I also know what all of you did."

My body tensed up as I clenched my jaw. "It's not the same thing."

"Isn't it?"

When I didn't say anything, Jordan ran a shaky hand through his hair. "Look, Avery. I respect you too much to sit here and argue with you. I know you're hurting, but you guys are no saints either."

Without even giving me a chance to respond, he pushed past me and made for the entrance to the tavern. "Jordan!"

My calls fell on deaf ears, causing me to let out an angry sigh as I kicked at the ground in front of me. I had never expected us to be so torn apart. It seemed that there was unresolved tension rippling through our group that was sure to bubble over eventually. 

What was sure, was that there was unresolved tension between the other groups in Sanctum. And it finally seemed to come to a head just mere moments after Jordan had disappeared into the tavern. 

The doors swung open, almost hitting me as the Prime fanatics marched out, led by Jordan and Trey. Following closely after them were the Children of Gabriel.

"Woah!" I called, my wide eyes following the groups who wore determined expressions. "What the hell is going on? Nelson!" I snapped, grabbing his arm before he could get any further. "What are you doing?" 

He gave me a heavy look before pulling from my grasp.  "Getting the justice that Greer deserves."

It was as if he knew exactly what to say to me. His words hit me hard and I felt myself freeze for a moment before Raven grabbed onto my arm and pulled me along with her. 

"It's going to be another riot." She explained as we followed after the crowds. 

"FREE RUSSELL PRIME!" Trey, the lead fanatic, yelled. "How dare you put him in a cage!"

The Wonkru guards stood on alert, gripping onto their weapons a bit tighter as the crowds neared. 

"A cage is better than he deserves!" Nelson fired back. 

Raven stabilized herself on my shoulder as we pressed forward, knowing more chaos was about to ensue. 

"Hey." Clarke called, catching up to the two of us with wondering eyes. 

"They're going for Russell." I explained, his name leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. 

Agitated demands continued to be thrown around as Indra approached us. "I'm moving him to the palace where we can protect him."

"We said the palace was off limits." Clarke argued. 

"Every battle plan is perfect till the first shot is fired."

Raven shook her head. "And the Children of Gabriel?"

"They'll be unhappy." Indra answered. "It's either this, or we execute him now and be done with it."

I wanted Russell executed as much as the Children of Gabriel, but the minute he was dead all hell would break loose. 

"Hey." Clarke snapped at Jordan who passed by us. "Thanks for you help."

Jordan spun to face us. "He wants to be killed. That's all I told them."

"Then let's give him what he wants!" Nelson interjected. "Death to Primes!"