Chapter Twenty-Four

Start from the beginning

He almost got him, but stopped when Zappy jumped in front, causing Shifty to run into him. He blinked at this and stopped. Zappy looked up at him and smiled, which confused him. He watched Zappy whisper something to Shifty and before he could listen in, Shifty shoved him away.

"Get away from me, freak!" He hissed.

Instead of being offended, Zappy continued to smile and then hand him a phone. Splendont watched him snatch it away and walk out to the front door.

"What'd you say?" He asked as Zappy walked passed him.

"You're not the only one who looks people up, Splendont. I just told him his situation was taken care of while he was out." Zappy replied, shrugging his shoulders. "Besides, you need to go and look after your... friend."

Splendont frowned as Zappy walked away. He turned and followed, deciding last minute to listen in on what Shifty was doing. He heard him in the middle of talking to someone on the other line.

"– and you got the rest of the signed documents?" Shifty sounded nervous.

From the phone he heard, "Yes! You sent the confirmation email four days ago. Have you forgotten?"

Shifty seemed to hesitate before laughing nervously, "Yeah, yeah, I did. First time buyer's anxiety. Thanks for confirming again."

"It's no problem Shifty. Anything for your father's son."

"Thanks... I'll be back in town to move in later today."

"Perfect! I can get the final signatures in person."

The line clicked and it was clear Shifty hung up. Splendont frowned and rubbed his head, Lifty told him Shifty got them a house. Because of the craziness with Foxy, he had forgotten completely. Speaking of Lifty...

He got back to the hall where he left Lifty and the others. A stab of guilt hit him when he saw Lifty sitting on the ground crying and his brother trying to comfort him. Fliqpy stood behind, a look of disapproval on his face when he saw Splendont coming in from behind Zappy. There weren't any words spoken between them, instead, Zappy went over and helped Lifty up.

"Now, now, don't cry. Your eyes will get swollen." Zappy cooed, wiping Lifty's face with his sleeve. "Perhaps, you've been away from home for too long. Once you get home, things will get clearer for you. Hm?"

Splendont felt anger scorch his body when he watched Zappy cradle Lifty's head and how Zappy smiled when Lifty sniffed and nodded. He stepped forward, reaching for Lifty once more, but, again, Lifty dodged his hand and went over to Fliqpy, of all people. He clenched his fist at this, but couldn't find any words to say.

"Where is Shifty?" Splendid asked as Splendont turned and began to walk back to the front door.

"He's outside making a call or something. Let's just go home." Splendont snapped, annoyed at Lifty's avoidance.

Splendid bid a final farewell to Zappy before following after Splendont with Fliqpy and Lifty. When they came out though, Shifty was already down the road, clearly on the phone. Lifty pushed passed Splendid and ran out after Shifty. Splendont followed behind him, his heart pounding in frustration at how Lifty just wanted to be with Shifty.