002

✦ Chapter 2: Veils ✦

ISLA WOKE UP to the sound of a deep grunt. She rolls over, surprised to find herself tucked into her bed upstairs. The last thing she remembers is falling asleep in Finnick's lap while he read her a book and indulged himself in her leftover biscuits. Laying on, well, more like dangling off of, her chaise lounge in the corner of her room is the muscular man. He wears just his trousers, his shirt discarded and on the floor.

Her eyes scan his sculpted chest as it rises and falls with every deep breath. He had stayed, like he said he would. She felt a grin spread across her lips at the sight of him, though. He must have slowly inched farther and farther down, until his legs hung off of the edge, clearly too long to fully lay down on the chair.

"I give up my king size bed for you, and you laugh at me." She's startled when he speaks, his eyes remaining closed. Finnick stretches out before finally looking at her, raising himself to a sitting position.

"There's plenty of spare rooms." She notes, referencing the abundance of empty bedrooms on the second floor that she has no use for.

Finnick yawns, "I thought I'd be nice and stay in here, in case you needed me." Isla feels a blush creep onto her cheeks.

"How thoughtful." She jokes coolly. The man smirks, rising to his feet.

"I'm going to go home, shower, and change into something I haven't slept in." He looks down at his crumpled linen button up that lay on the floor. After retrieving it, he makes for the door. "I suggest you do the same." He gives her a look that implies it's more of an order, not a suggestion.

Isla lets herself stay in the comfort of her covers for a bit longer before she lets out an exasperated sigh and makes for her bathroom. Leave it to Finnick to not let a girl wallow in her depression in peace, Isla thinks. She quickly showers, and changes into a comfortable set of clothes for the day.

She's surprised to find Mags already cooking away in her kitchen. "Did Finnick send you?" Isla asks, and the old woman nods her head with a smile. "Well, I'm up and showered as he requested." Mags makes a gesture that indicates she's proud of Isla, and scoops some breakfast onto a plate before setting it in front of her.

"Annie won't be upset that he stayed here last night, will she?" Isla asks. She hadn't even thought of the fact that Finnick had spent most the day, and all of the night, at Isla's instead of Annie's.

Mags shakes her head, her smile faltering slightly. Isla gives her a quizzical look, and Mags tries her best to explain despite her severe speech impediment. After a mixture of hand signals and mumbled words, Isla is able to piece together the current state of the two victor's relationship.