He was still staring at her, all blue eyes and questioning gaze and an intensity that only Bruce could exude.

Her personal phone, which she had discarded in her lap, buzzed silently. It was reserved for close people in her life, so it didn't ring very often. She tilted her gaze into her lap— it was a text from Lex Luthor.

Need to talk, ASAP.

She didn't like the man, but Lex had made a compelling argument that it was smart for them— as multi-billionaire business owners— to have each other's personal numbers. At first, she was skeptical, because he would be able to track where she was, but then Lex made the case that in return, she would be able to track him. (If they were being honest, both of them just had their tech divisions reroute their locations, so the other would probably never truly know, but the gesture in itself was... nice, she supposed.)

She glanced up to make sure the presenter wasn't looking at her and quickly typed back a response.

No time.

There were a few moments before she felt another soft buzz against her pantsuit.

Make time.

She sighed.

"Ms. Elias?"

She looked up again to find everyone in the room staring at her.

"Yes?"

The presenter was a small man with thick glasses. "We were, um, just wondering if you have any thoughts?"

She tilted her head to the holographic screen behind the man, showing plans for new Gotham infrastructure— a.k.a the only thing that would ever get her and Bruce in a meeting together. (Ironic, considering she constantly brought up the idea of a company merger, which would immensely benefit the city, but Bruce always selectively ignored that.)

Her phone buzzed.

Hurry.

She sighed again, standing up. "I'm so sorry, I completely forgot that I have a very important call I need to be on. I... will get back to you within the next few days."

Buzz.

Elias?

She pushed her seat back. "Thank you all again for the informative session."

She typed back.

I'm hurrying. Shut up.

She walked past Bruce's chair, bending down to his ear level. He looked mildly confused, tilting his head slightly towards her. She hated asking for favors— screw Lex Luthor.

"I need to use your office," she whispered.

His eyebrows deepened. "Okay?"

She strode out of the room with all eyes on her, rounding the corner and up the elevator to Bruce's office— this probably wasn't a call she could take with people around. She pushed open the doors, not being able to help the twinge of sadness in her stomach every time she entered the room. Under Thomas Wayne, the office was warm and homey with soft furniture and rich colors. Once the board of directors took over, the happiness of the office was ripped out, instead filled with cold metal and modern leather seating and shades of gray.

Among the plethora of other issues she had with Bruce once he became CEO, she hated him for not changing the office back to how Thomas had designed it.

She opened her phone and hit the call button. It had only taken two rings before someone answered.

"Elias!" The voice was low and condescending. "How wonderful of you to actually pick up."