Chapter 19 - Sophie

Start from the beginning

Sophie awkwardly sat down.

"I'm Carmynn Fontayn," the girl said. She had short, wavy red hair with a fair, creamy complexion and dark blue eyes. She seemed to be the leader of the group.

"Idrissa," The brown-haired girl sitting next to Carmynn said. She seemed unwilling to divulge her last name, but she smiled at Sophie, her bright teal eyes shining.

"I'm Raina Hollows," another girl said. Though she seemed shorter and younger than everyone else, perhaps ten or eleven years old, she held herself in a way that seemed much more mature. She had warm brown skin with curly black hair and dark indigo eyes.

"I'm Jett Oleander," a grinning boy across from her said next. He had longish black hair with light blue eyes that had a tint of green in them, coupled with a charming smile.

The boy next to him, who looked nearly identical to him, but with sharper features and a dark scowl on his face, turned to look at him and sighed. "He's joking," he said, rolling his eyes. "I'm Jett, he's Zayn. We're identical twins."

"Yeah, I'm Jett, he's Zayn," the other twin said triumphantly, glancing over at her.

Carmynn sighed. "Boys, let's really not confuse Sophie on her first day."

"Of course," he said charmingly, holding Carmynn's stare. "We haven't confused you, right?" He said, switching his gaze over to Sophie.

"Er—" To be honest, she was rather confused, but she didn't want to show it. "No, I'm not," she said anyway. "But, just to confirm, you're Zayn, and he's Jett, right?"

He burst out laughing. "She sure got that faster than you on your first day, Mari," he said, looking toward another girl sitting next to Sophie.

The girl scowled darkly. "Don't. Call. Me. Mari!" She said, rolling her eyes. She then turned to Sophie. "I'm Marigold. Marigold Alfina Spardin, if you must." Marigold had long, wavy, golden blonde hair with piercing light blue-gray eyes. Sophie also noticed that along with her yellow crystal necklace, she also had a golden. heart-shaped locket.

"Hi," Sophie said cautiously. A little girl suddenly popped up from behind her.

"And I'm Aurelia!" She said in a sing-song voice.

Marigold smiled as she hefted Aurelia up into her lap. "This is Aurelia or Aura, as we like to call her. She's my little sister."

"Oh." Sophie's heart immediately warmed. She crouched down to her level. "How old are you?"

The little girl giggled. "Seven," she said shyly. She tilted her head, studying Sophie with her bright baby blue eyes. "Why do you have brown eyes?"

Sophie leaned back, thrown off. "I-I what?" She stammered, fumbling through the pockets of her tunic and leggings to try and find a mirror.

Aura watched her with curious eyes, unmoving. "Here," she said, showing Sophie her silver heart-shaped locket, almost identical to Marigold's in every aspect except its color. she flipped it open, revealing a mirror.

Sophie leaned closer and studied herself, dread slowly dawning on her. She knew elves were supposed to have blue eyes, and she was an elf. So why were her eyes that dull chocolate brown with miniature gold flecks?

She leaned back into her chair again and stared at her empty plate, her appetite gone. Why can't I remember? She thought. I should be able to remember.

Throughout the rest of breakfast, Sophie stared glumly at her plate, until everyone rose and said that it was time for training.

"Sophie. Sophie! SOPHIE!" A voice shook her out of her trance. "Huh?" She asked, glancing obliviously around her. Carmynn stood beside her, shaking her head and looking disgruntled.