Amy gaped at her.

"Go, go, go!" Nutcracker urged. "We don't have all day! Well, I don't, at least. People are waiting, and I'm dragging things on with this scene. I might really be in trouble if I stay any longer. I do really want to see Finch, though... Oh well, I guess."

It was a while before Amy could find her voice again, but by the time that she did, the girl was already up and gone. "What just happened?"

But something told her not to dwell on the past, and so with a final exhale of preparation, she squared her shoulders and pushed open the door.

"Juliet!"

"It's tha Princess!"

"Hey, Ames!"

"She's back!"

Amy froze with the door half open, watching all the newsies who were watching her back eagerly, before her gaze fell on Romeo and Laura and she quickly turned around to go back outside, letting the door close behind her again.

She didn't know what she had been thinking. That Nutcracker girl was clearly nuts. How could this have even been considered a good idea? She could've sworn she even heard Laura's voice in her head, demanding to know what part of 'goodbye' the girl didn't understand.

"Amy!"

Amy spun around to see Jojo, and let out a sigh of relief. "Oh, it's you. Thank goodness."

Jojo gave her a sad smile, approaching her. "Yer okay?"

Amy shook her head. "You were right."

His eyes dropped to the ground. "Ise sorry."

"It doesn't matter." Amy sighed. "I should've known from the start. It's my own fault that I was too much of a hopeless romantic to see."

"I nev-ah thought 'a you like dat," Jojo told her. "A bit lovestruck, sure. But there ain't nothin' wrong wit gettin' like dat when yer finally noticed by yer crush. It's Romeo dat don't make sense ta me. He's always gettin' rejected by every goil he finds, but tha moment ya walk in-ta tha picture, you, who would love him in jus a heartbeat, he blows ya off? I jus... I want ta see him happy more den anyone. I don't understand why he jeopardized everythin' once ya came along."

It was clear the subject was bugging him, but Amy didn't know what she could say. She had no idea why Romeo had strung her along for such a long time, either. "Maybe we'll just have to wait and see how things go in between him and Laura."

"Maybe." Jojo was silent for a moment. "Ya don't feel any different den from how ya did 'fore ya found him wit yer sister, do ya?"

Amy lowered her gaze, playing with the hem of her gloves. "No. I've always loved him, and I always will love him. We never really were together, anyway. Nothing has changed for me."

"I fig-ahed." Jojo pressed his lips together. "I think tha fellas is happy ta have ya back. Wanna go inside so ya can go show Romeo dat yer doin' fine?"

"Yes." Amy nodded, building up her confidence once again. "Yeah, I do. I'm ready."

Jojo nodded back, and together they made their way back inside the diner.

"Juliet!"

"It's tha Princess!"

"Hey, Ames!"

"She's back!"

Amy rolled her eyes at the repetitive greeting. "You guys couldn't stand to be a little more original?"

The newsies all glanced at one another, unsure of what to say.