Steven nodded slowly, "Yeah... I am so glad I got to see this movie with you. You've been so fun to hang out with today. I didn't feel like I had to force myself to be perfect around you, it felt like I could just be myself." That hadn't been a lie, but the next part was. "I'm glad I went with you instead. I don't think I would've had as much fun with Connie. I'm glad I got to know you. Really."

Liv's face quickly flushed a bright pink. "Y-Yeah..? That's... Really sweet of you. H-How about you walk me home, then?" She stood up from her seat and held out her hand. "It's dangerous for a girl to walk home alone, you know..."

Steven got up and grabbed her hand, balancing the popcorn tub and drink in his other. As they walked out the revolving doors and out into the streetlamp-lit street, they began to talk about everything and nothing at all. He learned that Liv loved cats and that's why she went to the café. He also learned that she had a stamp and bottlecap collection.

What can I tell her...? He thought hard about what he could tell her. Something about him that would make sense, that he could say where he wouldn't have to explain the Gems, the homeworld. Everything about him seemed too otherworldly to share. Even his pet was too strange to be taken as truth if he were to bring it up. "My dad owns a car wash."

"Really? That's so cool! Do you help him out a lot?" She seemed genuinely interested. Steven let out a sigh of relief. "Yeah! I mean, I used to, when I was younger. I haven't been home for a while. I'm planning on visiting after I leave here, though. The ge-, I mean, my family misses me."

Liv smiled, "That's awesome you're visiting. I haven't visited in a while either. I will after Exams, though." They walked in silence for a little longer. It felt like an eternity. A state of limbo filled with car lights and streetlamps. "You know... You're really cool, Steven..."

He coughed awkwardly, looking away. "R-Really? I don't think I'm that cool." Liv stopped in the middle of the sidewalk. Her face showed sincerity as she replied, "No, I mean it, Steven, you're super cool. You're the coolest guy I've ever met!"

She stepped closer and took both of his hands with hers. "I mean it, Steven... All the guys' I've known since I moved here have been absolute jerks. I want to get to know you better, Steven Universe..."

His heart pounded as she wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him closer. He could smell the faint scent of cotton candy again. The scent was almost intoxicating to him in a way it had no right to be. Her eyes sparkled from the streetlamps and he felt the adrenaline rush through his veins. She's so cute... He watched as her soft lips came closer and locked onto his own.

Without thinking, he wrapped his arms around her small frame, pulling her even closer as he returned the kiss. They were so soft and warm and he could taste the hint of chocolate and mint on her breath. They stayed like that for what felt like an eternity, holding enjoying each other's warmth. She didn't stop, kissing him over and over. Steven's head spun as she deepened the kiss.

This isn't right... This isn't Connie... The guilt hit him like a wave. They weren't official, sure, but he cared about her. He loved her. Why was he kissing a girl he just met? Steven pulled away and held her at arms' length. "Liv... I can't, I'm sorry..."

Liv took a step back, her eyes filled with heartache and embarrassment. "It's cause of Connie, huh..."

Steven nodded, "I'm sorry, I just..." Liv stopped him, smoothing down her skirt. She looked down at her feet as she replied. "No, no, it's fine, I get it... You guys were a thing and you still love her, right?"

She didn't give him a chance to respond before plastering a smile on her face. Liv did her best to hide the hurt he had caused. "It really is fine! I'm sorry, Steven... I got in the way of you and Connie. I shouldn't have kissed you. That was my bad..."

"It's my fault too, Liv... I should just walk you the rest of the way home. I don't think this was a good idea."

It was a tense walk home. Neither talked or even looked at the other. Steven grabbed his stomach. It felt as if he had filled his stomach with lead. How was he ever going to explain this to Connie, or even make it up to her? For someone who claimed to love her, he sure did a bad job at showing it. I really don't deserve her...

Finally, they had reached the girls' dorm. Standing awkwardly in front of the entrance, Liv gave a small wave. "Well, uh... Thanks for tonight." Steven chuckled nervously, "Yeah. Well, uh, have a nice night." Liv slowly walked to the entrance, swiped her card, and went inside.

Steven didn't immediately leave. He looked up at the dormitory, wondering if Connie happened to live there too. Part of him wished he would've taken the time to ask Liv, but he shook his head at the thought. That'd be a terrible idea... I've already hurt her enough. Bringing up Connie would've just made it worse. He felt the tears well up in his eyes. He had been such an idiot today, and now he was going to have to find a way to tell Connie.

How would he ever make it up to her?

He could never make it up to her...