Chapter 2

For once in a long time I was able to sleep through the entire rest of the afternoon and all through the night. With 13 hours of sleep, I felt so rejuvenated that I thought I could run a marathon. When the alarm went off, I pressed the snooze button and jumped out of bed, grabbing a towel off of my dresser before striding into the bathroom. Locking the door behind me, I hopped into the shower and made sure to clean myself until my skin was practically glowing. I wasn't sure why, but I wanted to look really good that day.

            My outfit today consisted of a pair of black, ripped skinny jeans, a Nirvana tank top, and a pair of worn out black sneakers. My hair was styled up and I put in my black lip ring, biting it a few times just out of old habit. I hadn't dressed like that in years, and it felt divine. I felt like myself, aside from the jacket I wore to cover up the scars. Over the past week, I'd stopped caring so much of what my rank in school was. I talked to everybody and anybody. And, today, I was taking that final step. I wasn't going to dress like I was a preppy rich boy. I was going to dress like myself. 

            I was going to try and sneak out of the house unnoticed, but I was stopped at the door by the sound of footsteps slapping against the hardwood floor.

            “Luke?” It was just my brother. Slowly turning around, I looked at him cautiously.  

            “What are you doing awake already? It's not even six yet.”

            “Mum and dad had me transferred to your school last night.”

            “How? Why? Ben... What happened last night?”

            “Well, I told mum that I didn't like the way she was so mean to you, and that maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I went to a school closer. So, she made a few calls and had me transferred to your school. I'm so sorry.”

            “It's alright, Ben. Hey, now I can give you a lift to school. I always get there about an hour early, so I can show you around to your classes. Do you have a schedule?”

            “Um, yeah, I wrote it down. Mum said they would give me a printed schedule during first hour.”

            “Alright, well, grab your bag and let's go. Just make sure to be quiet. I want to get out of here before mum and dad wake up.” Ben grabbed his bag off of the hook and we made our way out of the door. Grabbing my keys out of my pocket, I stepped into my black convertible and put the hood down, making sure he was buckled in before taking off. Luckily, my brother loves Blink-182 just as much as I do, so I was able to jam on the way to school.

            Once we arrived. I let my brother ride on my back as I walked around the empty halls and made sure to emphasize the quickest routes and the table to sit at during lunch. Of course, I told him to sit at Ashton's table. I thought maybe if I could get a few more Seniors to sit with us and Ben could get a few of his Freshman friends that he would hopefully make throughout the year, Ashton would finally get a taste of what it's like to be popular. You didn't need a school full of naive teens to obsess over you to be popular. You just needed friends that cared.

            “Luke?” Turning around, I saw Ashton standing near one of the many doors that lined the halls. Ben slowly slid off my back and stood awkwardly behind me. Chuckling at Ben's fear, I messed up his hair a bit before walking over to Ashton.

            “Hey. My parents transferred Ben here, so I was just showing him around. What are you doing here so early?”

            “I always hang out here early. It's quiet and it gives me time to exercise in the gym before all the jocks come in.”

            “I don't think you need to exercise so much. I think you need to eat more. You're still pretty thin.” I had been been packing extra lunch to give to Ashton to help raise his weight. It had only been a week, but it was still enough to give him a few extra pounds and help give him some energy.

            “Ahem!” Ashton and I both turned around to look at Ben who was standing a few feet away from us, hands outspread in an exaggerated expression. “I'm still here, ya know!” We both chuckled and Ben pouted at us, arms now crossed over his chest.

            “Sorry, I'll let you get back to showing your brother around.”

            “See you in first hour.” I started to walk away, but I felt Ashton's hand wrap around my wrist, stopping me in my tracks for a moment. Looking him in the eyes, he used his free hand to slip a note into mine.

            “Read this... Before first hour.” I smiled and nodded my head, giving him one last look as we parted ways.

            “Who was that?” Ben looked up at me curiously and I patted his head before encouraging him to follow me.

            “That was Ashton. He's my... friend.” I don't know why I hesitated, but for some reason, I didn't feel right calling Ashton a friend. He was, but I wanted him to be so much more than that. Yes, as I've said before, we've only been talking a week, but yet I can already tell that he's the kind of guy I see myself falling in love with. I'm already falling for him.

            Me and Ben walked around until the halls filled with people and the bell rang to signal the beginning of the day. I walked Ben to his first hour and he assured me that he would be able to find his way around and would meet up with me at lunch. I stopped by my locker to pick up my bag and sling it over one shoulder. After shutting my locker, I took the time to unfold the note I'd been given and read it.      

      Luke,           

         This is going to sound completely insane, but I just want this out in the open: I have a crush on you. You've only just started talking to me, but I used to watch you during lunch, sitting with your friends, laughing like you didn't have a care in the world (Sounds a bit stalkerish, right)? I wanted so much to be you, and I thought that just being able to talk to you would make life easier. But, it's so much deeper than that.

            I'm taking a complete chance with this note, because I don't even know you, truly know you, and yet I can feel myself falling for you. You told me that you haven't dated anyone in years because you couldn't find anybody that didn't want you only for your popularity, but I think I can be that guy. I don't care about popularity and you of all people should understand that. I only care about you.

            I don't want to write too much because if I do I know I'll write something stupid, so let me just get to the point. I like you. I really like you, and I just want you to give me a chance. You've given me a chance at your friendship, and I know this seems rushed, but I want you to give me a chance at being the guy who can show you that not all relationships are volatile.

                                                                                                            Sincerely,

                                                                                                                        Ashton xx

            Folding the note back up and sliding it into my pocket, I quickly made my way to first hour, keeping silent as I stepped in and made my way to the back of the class to sit with Ashton.

            “Did you read my note?” He asked me as I sat down and dropped my bag on the floor. I nodded my head and turned my head to look at him. “And?” He seemed worried, but I shook it off. I knew what I needed to say.

            “Yes.” That's all I needed to say. The smile on my face told it all. And I'll never forget the fire that burned bright behind the beautiful colors in Ashton's eyes. That was the look of a boy who was given a second chance at happiness.