SEVEN

SEVEN

The moment Bucky comes back from his walk, Evelyn jumps to her feet. She's never been to Latvia before, and it's a complete other thing that they're in one of Zemo's many houses, but she's dealing with it. Even if it does mean the sight of Zemo walking in wearing a bathrobe with wet hair will end up torturing her. "How was 'the walk'?" she questions, giving him a pointed look.

Bucky should've known she wouldn't fall for that, sighing before shaking his head, telling the three of them, "The Wakandans are here. They want Zemo. Bought us some more time."

"Were you followed?" Sam questions.

"No."

"How can you be so sure?" Zemo challenges, looking through the stained glass windows in paranoia.

Evelyn scoffs, not even glancing up from her phone, wine bottle in her other hand. "Zemo, we're Winter Soldiers. We know when we're being followed."

He rolls his eyes a little for her defence on Bucky's behalf, but instead says, "It was sweet of you to defend me at least."

"Hey, you shut it," Sam snaps. "No one's defending you. You killed Nagel."

"Do we really have to litigate what may or may not have happened?"

"There's nothing to litigate. You straight shot the man!"

"Guys."

"What?"

They turn to Evelyn, only for Bucky to realise from her stony face that something's wrong. He walks over, reading over her shoulder, before pressing his lips together as she explains to the others. "Karli bombed a GRC supply depot. Eleven injured, three dead. They have a list of demands and are promising more attacks if those demands aren't met in full. Amateurs."

Bucky gives her a disapproving look that she ignores.

"She's getting worse," Zemo mutters as Sam lets out an exhausted sigh. "I have the will to complete this mission. Do the three of you?"

"She's just a kid," Evelyn mutters, gaze fixed on Zemo at his words, something in her fingers quivering.

He scoffs. "You didn't have any problem with threatening to kill everyone who crossed your path not so long ago. Why are you so determined not to hurt her?"

Evelyn clenches her jaw tightly, but does not reply. Bucky averts his eyes, suddenly feeling constricted.

Zemo shakes his head slightly, addressing all of them. "You're seeing something in her that isn't there. You're clouded by it. She's a supremacist. The very concept of a Super Soldier will always trouble people. It's that warped aspiration that led to Nazis, to Ultron... to the Avengers."

"Hey, those're our friends you're talking about."

"The Avengers," Bucky fixes Sam's comment, "not the Nazis."