TEN

TEN

It's silent when the four are sitting in the living room once more, the weight of everything on their shoulders, echoing and crushing. It feels like Evelyn's ears are going to implode with the deafening silence, with the memories rushing around in her mind. With the pain resulting in her aching chest, her screaming brain, her fingers trembling on her lap.

Suddenly, it feels like she's frozen all over again. She's back in HYDRA, in Siberia, screaming for help, screaming as they drag her out of that car, her daughter sobbing, and then the overwhelming agony in them from the serum running through their veins. The insatiable urge to die from the pain, to just make it stop, but having to hold on for her, her, who ended up dying anyway.

Sam's the one to break the silence. "What was your daughter's name?"

When it finally processes Evelyn's mind, she freezes. She wants to leave it aside, to never talk about it again, knowing no one would understand, but then it's not her that speaks up.

It's Bucky.

"Adelina," he murmurs, and just hearing it from his lips makes her heart jolt, and immediately she jumps to her feet before walking out of the room, unable to take the silent judgement, the sickening smell of pain and curiosity.

The moment she tries slamming her room door after her, a metal hand holds out, stopping it. Her breaths are shaky as she whirls around wildly, a few curls falling around her face, light eyes taking in the pained expression on Bucky's face, the pleading in them, the way he seems just as shaken as her. Why? It's not like she was his child. It's not like he did anything to help her.

"I'm sorry." It rushes out in a breathless torrent, the thing he's wanted to say since they saw each other again, since all of this started, but what else is there that he can say? How else can he ease his conscience? "I'm just– I'm sorry."

Her voice is cold. "Sorry for standing in the middle of the road that night or sorry for not leaving us to die?"

"I couldn't– I was under HYDRA's control," he pleads, chest aching, his hand on the doorjamb starting to shake. He didn't even know his metal arm could shake. "I couldn't move. There was nothing I could've done–"

"So what are you going to say?" She snaps, teeth gritting. "Huh? That it was fate this would end up happening? That it was my destiny to become the Winter Soldier, and that I couldn't have escaped it? Because I see it. Every time, I see it in your eyes. You're grateful that you didn't have to go through all of it alone, that you had me, so much that you don't care about how an innocent child died that day."

There's nothing Bucky can say. Maybe he just can't get the words out, stuck in his throat, choking him. He wants nothing more than to break down, but he can't even breathe.