feeling wrong

a/n idk whats up with these titles btw just ignore them lol

Sophie had been staring at the little tiles on the ceiling for what seemed to be hours. Every time she moved, her whole body seemed to sink into the plush bed, in her new unfamiliar room. The only words Sophie could up with to describe her room was massive...enormous...huge...and well, empty. She guessed it was a guest bedroom of sorts that Grady and Edaline had cleared out when they adopted Sophie. She slowly sat up and swung her feet over the side of the bed, her feet bumping into the several cardboard boxes that were strewn around. She had been at the new house for almost a day and still hadn't unpacked.

And she couldn't. It just felt wrong.

After the accident. Sophie couldn't get out of San Francisco fast enough. When child services arrived. All she wanted to take was Ella, but they managed to persuade her to bring along a few personal items, including a family picture album that was stuffed at the bottom of one of the moving boxes. The only thing she regretted not bringing were some of her grey hoodies. Sophie had no intention of making friends or standing out at her new school. And her dull clothes were sort of like protection. They kept her safe.

A soft knock on the door shook Sophie from her thoughts, "Come in" she said softly and Edaline's head peeked through the door.

"Everything alright?" she asked noting the still packed boxes, but to Sophie's relief didn't say anything about

"Yep...I just need some time to...get situated"

Edaline smiled "Of course, take all the time you need. I just wanted to let you know about a little event that's going on tomorrow"

"Is it a party?" Sophie sighed. She hated those. Not like she was ever invited to any, of course, but she didn't really like being surrounded by large groups of people.

"Kind of," Edaline said hesitantly, "It's for the 4th of July. There's fireworks and a barbecue..." she slowed down.

Sophie realized that she was pulling at her eyelashes and quickly put her hand away. It was kind of a nervous habit.

"I can go if you guys want me to," she smiled. Sophie didn't want to be a burden. She reminded herself that Grady and Edaline had adopted her. They had given her a new chance and she was grateful for it.

"Thank you" her adopted mother nodded "I think that getting back to a sense of normalcy would be good for you" she stared out past the window into the setting sun, almost wistfully but then turned back to Sophie "Of course if you get uncomfortable at any time just let me know. We can bring you home"

"Thank you" Sophie nodded. Maybe a party would be good for her. She could root out the popular kids and make sure to stay far away from them once summer ended and school started back up again.

"I'll see you in the morning. Good night." Edaline smiled once more before closing the door.

Sophie waited until she couldn't hear Edaline's footfalls anymore and walked over to one of the boxes. She sorted through it until she touched the sparkly cover of the boom she was looking for. She pulled it out and chuckled at the sight of the bright pink diary with its sparkly unicorn on the cover. She flipped through the pages quickly, not really wanting to catch a glimpse of any of her old family's names. She carried the diary to the window nook at the side of her room and took the pen that was attached to the cover. She looked out at the moon that had started to come up and began to write.

Dear Diary,

Hey...I haven't really written in a while. I remember when I got you. It was for my 10th birthday, Wow, things were actually normal back then. Now everything is different. I live in a different state...with a different family. They seem alright...and happy to have me here.

Sophie closed the book quickly, feeling sick to her stomach. It felt wrong to write about her new family in a diary given to her by her old one. She pushed the book aside and walked back over to her new bed. She laid down on the bed and closed her eyes, hoping that sleep would come quickly, but unfortunately, it didn't, She could feel herself sinking further into the sheets every second. Like she was being encased in a cocoon. She resisted the urge to move and reminded herself not to make a fuss.

~~~

"Sophie! Pay attention!"

Sophie's head snapped up to Mr. Sweeney, her history teacher standing at the front of the room. And he did NOT look happy. She slowly took her earbuds out of her ears and turned off the music on her phone.

"Would you like to teach today's lesson?" he asked "It's obvious that you already know the material or else you wouldn't be daydreaming.

Chuckles strayed around the class and Sophie could feel the sneers burning into her back, "No, sir. I'm sorry" she said quietly.

"No please" he looked fuming mad now "Enlighten us with today's lesson. What have we learned so far?"

Sophie thought back to the first day of the week when he had written what they were going to learn on the scratchy chalkboard.

"World Economics..." she said slowly "This week we are talking about the shift to industrial production in the United States" she looked up quickly into the face of Mr. Sweeney "You said it was the the greatest force in the modern economic history"

"I-" Mr. Sweeneys face was completely red at this point.

"Wow, the child prodigy teaches us our own history class" Garwin Chang's whisper clouded out the mumblings of her teacher, "She strikes again"

Sophie looked down at her desk and pretended to ignore him. No matter how many times she tried to prove her worth, no one wanted her there. 

a/n sry for all the flashbacks lmao i just think sophies human experience is rly cool and something that shannon doesnt write abt a lot. 

ALSO SHANNON HAD A BABY BOY AHHHH IM SO HAPPY FOR HER!!!