Her green eyes were bright, as if she were actually learning something from the supposed fraud.

But, Reedpaw supposed, he had to give credit to Sparrowpaw for awing Rosepaw. He wondered if Sparrowpaw like Rosepaw back.

Sparrowpaw was still deep in his lecture when Tansyflight called all cats who were going to the Gathering.

When Rosepaw looked at him expectantly, and a little hopefully, Sparrowpaw shook his head solemnly. "No. I shall not be going on this moonlight Gathering."

Rosepaw's mouth fell open. "What? No!"

Anyone would think Sparrowpaw was planning on sacrificing himself.

"I'm deeply sorry," meowed Sparrowpaw.

In Reedpaw's eyes, Sparrowpaw was just playing. Acting a show.

But Rosepaw sighed. "Oh, okay. Maybe I should... I could... stay back with you."

"That would," replied Sparrowpaw, "indeed be grateful."

"Come on!" called a white tom.

Rosepaw glanced at him. "Um..."

"Just come on, Rosepaw," snapped Reedpaw. "Aren't you going to see your friend Daisypaw?"

Rosepaw stuttered. "She might've not come..."

"Rosepaw," called a tortoiseshell. "Come on."

Rosepaw sighed. "I'll see you later, then," she mewed to Sparrowpaw, and called, "Coming, Windfeather!"

"Surely," Rosepaw muttered, as they were hopping along the white, wide, steppingstones, "you could've waited?"

"Tell Tansyflight that," interrupted Whitepaw.

Rosepaw sighed. "Yeah, sure." Her ears drooping, she jumped past the remaining steppingstones.

Reedpaw turned his head and saw a great, big, rotting, fallen tree. The elders had said it had begun rotting years ago, and, at the same time, Twolegs came and made stepping-stones. Some Twoleg kits came and played, but it was very rare, and they began using them.

He sat in a corner. Rosepaw was nowhere to be seen, and Sunpaw was sitting in the darkest corner. Still, her golden pelt shone in the moonlight.

Mistshade had stayed; Reedpaw assumed it was volunteer.

"Reedpaw. You're alone."

Reedpaw whirled around to see the gray she-cat who seemed ever so interested in him.

"Slatefoot. Why do you keep coming?"

Slatefoot's blue eyes darkened. "Because," she started. There was a sudden yowl from above and, the gray startled warrior, sat back, looking almost relieved she wouldn't have to tell.

Reedpaw soon forgot about Slatefoot as he listened in wonder as the leaders spoke and reported.

"RiverClan has been thriving," announced Silverstar. Her dark eyes gleamed under the moonlight-filled sky. Her voice was stronger than ever; confident and clear. "We have three new apprentices; Creampaw, Honeypaw, and Reedpaw."

As the cats yowled the new apprentices' names, Reedpaw felt pride bubbling from inside him.

Since Creampaw and Honeypaw had not attended the last Gathering, for they were too young, this was the first time they presented themselves to the others. Reedpaw saw the cream apprentice scurry to a black and white she-cat, probably boasting.

Honeypaw was talking with a ginger and white tabby eagerly.

"Shush," warned Cloudstream. Her white fluffy pelt and gray stripes were fluffed out.